Chapter 3 - part 2

“Then…” he said, carefully facing me towards him again.

“Behind me, at the very end of the library? That’s the children’s section, right next to where Miss Flowers is talking to that lady.” Mike told me, I nodded but I wasn’t looking where he told me it was, I was looking at him. Mike was the only one I could see in this moment, his eyes and his inviting lips.

“Got that?” Mike asked in a low raspy voice. I nodded, gulping and looking at Mike with a dazed look on my face. Mike nodded moving a little backwards. Far enough that I could finally think clearly. I looked down, noticing he was holding my hands which I was carrying the books in. I’m glad he did that, I guess he knew I would totally forget what I was even thinking, let alone that I was holding something in that moment. Mike let go of my hands, grabbing some other books from the cart.

“Looks like I’m going to the fantasy section” He told me

“You’ll be able to find those sections I showed you?” Mike continued and I nodded. My brain was all fuzzy and my stomach was filled with raging butterflies. I couldn’t form a coherent sentence, let alone mutter one word it seems. I was absolutely breathless and speechless. He grinned at my dazed look and skipped to his next section. I lightly smacked myself. Get your shit together El! How can Mike have such an effect on me? I thought to myself before clutching the books to my chest and going towards the nonfiction section. Once I put the books back where they belonged, I returned to Mike and together we finished putting all the returned books in their rightful spots. After the last book was returned to its place, both Mike and I sat in two chairs next to each other, a lamp in between us.

“Wow I’m never done this quickly” Mike told me, checking his watch that informed him it was 7:00 o’clock

“Looks like we make a good team” I told him and he looked over me and smiled.

“You done with your work?” Miss Flowers asked, pausing in front of us.

“Yes Ma’am” Mike replied

“Well then Michael, you have my permission to leave early” Miss Flowers replied and I looked over at Mike who had a shocked look on his face.

“I can close down the library tonight on my own” she continued.

“Are… are you sure?” Mike asked and the older woman nodded with a warm smile.

Mike looked over at me and I looked at him.

“I said I would show you around Hawkins, why don’t we start tonight? If It’s not too late for you” He told me and I shook my head.

“No, it’s not too late, but my dad’s picking me up later from here, so would you drop me off here after we’re done?” I asked him and Mike nodded, standing up.

“Shall we?” Mike asked, looking at me and I giggled, standing up as well.

“We shall”

Mike led me outside to his bike that had two seats. He got on first then he turned to look at me.

“Hop on” He told me and I did, nervously wrapping my arms around his waist.

“Is…. is this okay?” I asked and Mike nodded softly before beginning to peddle his bike.

“Where are we going?” I asked

“On an adventure” Mike replied and I smiled brightly. This is the first of many more adventures I have with him, I hope.