Chapter 10

It was currently four o’clock, which meant I had two and a half hours to pick out an outfit, and look professional. And having never done this before, I was not sure how long that entire process would take me. 

But I did know that I would need some assistance from Aria, even if neither of us was completely sure of what we were doing. I needed at least a second opinion on what looked nice.

“Hey, A.” I peeked into the living room where Mari and Aria sat. she looked up at me curiously. “Could you help me pick out an outfit for my meeting tonight?”

“I can try.” She said, standing up. “Any idea what type of clothes we are looking for?”

“Zane said dresses or skirts.” I replied as we walked up to my room.

“Alright, let’s get searching then.” 

She and I began going through the closet, finding dresses of various styles and colors. I liked a green and blue striped dress that Aria said was too casual. She liked a silky red dress that draped off one shoulder; I found that far too elegant and revealing. 

“So, you and Zane?” she started as we examined the clothes.

“What?” I laughed, but it sounded a bit off. I had not been sure if she had been catching the vibes Finn had, or how she would feel about that.

“Do you like him?” she pressed.

“He is a nice guy.” I shrugged.

She sighed. “That is not a direct answer, B.”

“Well, that is because I do not have a direct answer for you, or even for him.” I admitted.

“River’s death took a lot more out of you than you care to let on.” She guessed.

“How could it not?” I asked quietly, feeling my emotions threaten to win me over. “I spent five days completely dysfunctional right after I learned that she had died. I loved her not enough and too much at the same time. She brought out the best of me. And I still am not completely sure how to go on.”

“You pushed all of that away.” She realized. “That five days was not enough; you are still hurting.”

“It feels like it would take a lifetime to recover.”

“I know you have gotten into poetry since her death, but have you thought about writing any? Maybe that expression could help you.”

“I would not know where to begin.”

“I doubt there is a specific way to do it.” She pointed out. “And Zane gave you the books, right? Ask for his input. Wait, Bell, look at this dress.”

It was a knee length, sleeveless yellow dress with a interesting looking black belt. The dress was pretty, but very bright. I felt like it would hug my Perfect figure nicely, but I was not sure if it would come off as too sexy.

“Do you think there is a jacket I could wear over it?” I wondered.

“That was not a ‘no’ so you are going to try this on while I look for a jacket.” She smiled at me.

“Can you zip it?” I asked her once I had slid it on. 

Once she did, I saw that the dress fit perfectly. But that meant it left no aspect of my body up for question. Everything was emphasized in ways I could have never imagined. My legs looked extremely long at defined and my waist curved in just the right way.

Was this body that I could hardly recognize my own?

“That looks great!” she grinned, taking it in.