Chapter 11

Of course we could not go right up to the memorial in Auto. But there was a dirt path for us to walk our half-mile on, I had to be grateful for that with my stupid heels.

But despite the path, I was still moving slower than the guys.

“Come on, Blue, we are going to be late.” Finn whined obnoxiously, he and Zane were only a few feet in front of me but I was far too slow for their liking.

“Since when have you ever given a damn about being late?” Zane scoffed at Finn, but offered me his arm for balance seeing that my shoes were the problem.

“I do not care, but I know that she does.” He replied. “I am actually five seconds away from carrying her.”

“These shoes hurt,” I told him. “So go ahead, carry me.”

I had been joking, but apparently Finn took me seriously because in a matter of seconds, I was on his back.

“You thought he was joking.” Zane chuckled at my stunned expression.

“I did.”

“Finn loves showing off.”

“And you don’t?” Finn countered.

Finn did end up carrying me most of the way to the monument, but I insisted on walking the last part just so that if we ran into anyone, I would look somewhat serious.

When we got there, I was surprised. No one seemed to be under the cover of the structure. In fact, I did not see anyone at all.

“Where is everyone? I thought we were running late?” I asked.

“You think we would have meetings in such an open area?” Finn scoffed. “We have an underground space that we created here awhile ago.”

“Then why do you guys rarely use it?”

“We cannot create that kind of consistency.” Zane reminded me.

I nodded and grabbed onto his arm as Finn led us down a dark stone staircase. Finn knocked on a metal door four times, and then a man opened it for us.

This lean man had to be at least six and a half feet tall. His skin was as pale as mine, but his contrasted his silver irises’ to make them sharp and fierce looking. His hair was silver as well, and appeared gelled back which made me wonder just how old he was. He wore a black pinstriped suit.

“Zane, Finn,” he nodded at them before turning his sharp eyes on me. “And you are?”

“My name is Bluebell.” I bit my tongue before I could allow myself to say “sir” or stutter. He reminded me of a man who came to get River once; he had seemed just as cold then as he was now.

“Oh, yes. I remember hearing you speak at the last meeting.” He recalled. “I’m Clayton.”

“Clayton, it is a pleasure to meet you.” I shook his hand, trying to shake the uneasiness this man gave me.

“Likewise.” He smiled before letting us in.

The room was huge with brown walls and white tiles. There were many rows of chairs set up, but the first row was missing a few chairs because those were surrounding a long table for the board meeting I guessed.

It seemed like most people were already here. I recognized some faces instantly, even if I could not place names. But others seemed like complete strangers.

I spotted Arrow and Monty right away, they both smiled and waved at us.

“Hey, Finn!” Jinx approached him before she saw me. “Blue! Nice to see you made the board!”