one.

"hopefully, you like this one. it's the last one on the market in your price range. it's beautiful, mr. irwin, just beautiful."

i roll my eyes at this guys fake enthusiasm as we both walk up to a bright, yellow house. "yeah, alright."

he gives me a smug look, and walks me up to the front porch. the front door is a little small, i have to almost duck to enter the house.

"it's a two bedroom, one bathroom house. actually, it was made for one person, so it should do you well." he says, a fake smile plasters his face. he shows me around and i'm not gonna lie; it's nice, but more importantly, it's cheap. and that's exactly what i need right about now. my parents recently kicked me out due to something so small and stupid. funny story really. you see---

"mr. irwin, sir. do you like the house?"

"oh, um, i mean it's nice and all but-"

"oh, god, i'm sorry, mr. irwin. it's starting to rain and that brings me to remind you about your neighbor."

my eyebrows furrow in confusion and a hint of curiosity. "what about the neighbor?"

"you see him, the blonde boy on thr porch?" he asks, pointing out of the kitchen window over to the neighbors house where there is, in fact, a blonde boy standing on his porch.

i nod. "yes."

"well, he's a bit odd. neighbors complain about him making too much noise during the day. at night, it is silent."

i scoff. "so a few noise complaints, i can handle it."

"so you like the house?"

i smile. "it'll do. for now."

he puts on, yet, another fake smile. "great! i'll get your paperwork."

+

after all the paperwork is signed, the man says i can move in by tomorrow if i'd like.

and i would like.

on our way out and back to my car, the man runs up to me, clutching onto his black umbrella. i figure i maybe forgot to sign something, or maybe he has another house to show me, but no. it's actually something about the neighbor.

"one more thing about that boy," he says, pointing to the blonde boy who is now standing in the middle of the entry way to his house, smiling and looking up at the sky, arms spread out wide. the sight is...beautiful, yet very odd.

the man takes a few deep breaths, like he's - what's the word - disappointed in the boy.

"he only comes outside when it rains."