Chapter 12

When I walk in to the dining room, there's food piled high on the table. There's a lot of people walking around, some I recognize, and some I don't.

"Hey," I say, walking over to Zayn.

"Bella! Shit, I feel like such a dick, i'm so sorry about last night. My sister really needed me but that's no excuse. I shouldn't have left you with Harry especially since there's already a lot of tension between you guys. Please forgive me.." Zayn rambles apologetically.

"It's fine. Of course I forgive you. I actually wanted to thank you for showing me around yesterday. I had a lot of fun," I say with a big smile.

"I did too. I was so worried about you. What happened after-"

"Hi Bella," a soft voice says from behind me.

"We'll talk later," Zayn say pointing upstairs.

When I turn around, I am face to face with a tall, brown-haired, girl. I remember her from yesterday.

"Hi, Sophia right?" I ask.

"Yep, that's me. I wasn't expecting to see you but I'm really glad you're here!" She says with genuine smile. I already know I'll like her.

"I wasn't expecting to be here either. Harry let me stay here since Zayn couldn't bring me back home.." I explain for the hundredth time.

"Oh okay. Well Zayn's a great guy, you can usually count on him. How long have you guys been together?"

"Oh no! We aren't a couple. We're just friends," I say with an awkward laugh.

"I'm so sorry! Hanging out with these idiots have taken the filter out of me. I shouldn't have just assumed.." The poor girl says, turning bright red, "Let's go get some food, yeah?"

I haven't eaten anything since last night, so I'm starving. I grab a disposable plate from the counter and pile it high with eggs, bacon, waffles, sausages and some fruit. I might as well make myself at home.

"So how's America treating you?" Sophia asks.

"It's been alright. I like it better here."

"Oh really. Why is that?"

"I guess everything just feels new here, it's a nice change. Not to mention the weather is perfect."

It's true. Even though it's been a long two days, there's something nice about this. I'm not exposed here, I'm in control of the information I tell people. No one knows about my brother or the abuse I went through. I can finally try to live a normal life.

"Briella just texted me asking me where you are, is it okay if I tell her?" Sophia says looking down at her expensive phone, one that I could not afford.

"Yeah sure. Is she coming over too?" I ask. I enjoy Sophia's company, but I need to see Briella so I can bombard her with questions.

"Nah, she's already at school and I don't think she can afford to skip right now, they have tight security in the morning."

Shit.

"I'm so stupid! I completely forgot about school," I check the time, " It's my second day here and I'm going to be an hour late. I better get going.."

Of all my years in London, I've never ditched school. That's mainly because I never really had any friends to do all the "crazy, rebellious" teen stuff shown in the media, but I know I wouldn't have done it even if I did have a group of friends.

Well you'll never find out now, my subconscious adds.

After stopping Sophia's relentless pleading for me to stay, I walk upstairs. Before I leave, I want to thank Harry for letting me stay. I'm not sure how he's going to act this morning, but I hope his calm demeanor from last night will last. Of course with his bipolar personality, i'm not counting on it.

I push open the door to the room I stayed in last night, to collect my stuff, only to find Zayn standing in the corner.

"Bella, I was hoping you would come up here," Zayn says turning towards me. His expression looks thoughtful yet anxious. "There's something I've been wanting to tell you since yesterday."

"Zayn, i'm already an hour late and i'm not into skipping classes. Is there any way we can talk about this later?" I ask, quickly grabbing my stuff. Something about his expression puts me on the edge and I'm afraid I don't want to hear what he has to say.

"Bella please, this is important." Zayn says hesitantly, "It's about Harry."

Crap, Zayn's words spark an interest in me. I have so many questions about that boy and Zayn's one of his closest friends. Maybe he can give me some more answers.

"What about Harry?" I ask neutrally, even though I'm burning with curiosity.

"Yeah Zayn, what about Harry?" A deep voice mocks from behind me.

A/N

I'm going to try to update at least once a week now that it's summer.

Thanks to the five new people who added this to their reading list. :)

Please vote and comment your thoughts. Thanks for reading! xx