CHAPTER SEVEN

(Vanessa's Pov)

Their consistent chatter was beginning to drive me insane. Although they had slid the kitchen doorway shut and had tried their hardest to leave me alone - they had done a terrible job at it. I could hear their constant laughter, Roxy's terrible singing to whatever song they blasted from their speakers and the damn scent belonging to whatever they were cooking crept inside of my nose. 

A loud groan escaped my lips absently and I frustratingly slammed my sociology book shut. I flopped down onto my back and took off my reading glasses, sighing to myself. And just on cue, their laughter picked up, taunting.

It was almost as if it was their mission to irritate me, distract me to the point I could no longer focus on my studies. It was like they both wanted me to fail, to earn a big fat F on my practice final that was less than a few days away. 

It had been a week since I had been sharing a dorm with Jase and had gotten used to Roxy always being over. What I had picked up about the couple, was that they were extremely taken with one another and I presumed naturally fell into a routine. They'd always end up seeing one another, at least once a day. Just like I had gotten used to seeing Roxy or Jase once a day. Jase expected, however.

Roxy was actually pretty cool and kind, especially compared to her boyfriend who sadly didn't share the same personality traits. Roxy always made a point to acknowledge me, sometimes get me engaged in their conversations or just include me somehow. 

I was beginning to like her, and whatever Britney had told me about her, I was concluding it was all made up garbage. Similarly, there was Jase. Though I hadn't exactly made friends with him and tried my very hardest to keep a distance from him, it was inevitable we'd have to face each other at least once in a day. He was my dorm mate, after all.

I had decided I wouldn't believe anything about him either. From what I saw, he was nothing like how they had described. He was so tentative, caring and affection towards Roxy. It wasn't anything close to being horrifying. Besides, when he wasn't busy being an ass to me, I actually saw the normal in him. The side which was goofy, amused and, well, human.

That side, I presumed, was off limits to many people.

Their laughter abruptly picked up, snapping me out of my thoughts about them, ironically. I huffed, slowly sitting up and bringing my legs out to touch the ground. There was only one way to silence them and that was to ask them kindly as possible, if they could keep it down.

Picking myself up, I led myself over to the sliding door and pulled it back before stepping inside the kitchen, the strong scent of whatever they were cooking hitting me instantly. It smelt divine, and fresh. It suddenly reminded me of my hunger.

"Vanessa!" Roxy called over the music they were blasting. It was a rap song and I couldn't exactly make out who the rapper was. The beat, however, had extra base. I could feel the vibrations hitting me.

"Hi," I cleared my throat, raising my voice slightly, unsure if she would be able to hear me over the music. My eyes drifted over the two, both standing behind the counter. Whilst Jase took care of whatever he was grilling, Roxy had a beer bottle in her hand, taking a large gulp of it and smiling freely when she removed it from her mouth.

"What are you doing here? Finally get bored of studying?" She asked, her words sounding a little slurred. I frowned, wondering if she was drunk on a Thursday - a week day. I shook my head, pursing my lips as I took a daring glance over at Jase.

His focus was on whatever he was grilling, drizzling some olive oil over it before he slowly glanced upwards. Our eyes met and I found my heart jumping in surprise. He looked incredibly hot in his tight fitting black shirt, giving me a view to his inked, muscular arms. I wasn't sure why, but the sight of him cooking, looking like that - it done something funny to my insides.