CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

(Jase's Pov)

Eighteen.

I mentally counted, lifting my body upwards with my upper strength, before bringing myself back down. 

Nineteen. 

I repeated the action, blowing out a sharp breath.

Twenty.

I lay back, taking a small one minute break, knowing that spacing out my workout was the best way to go. While I caught my breath from the sit ups I was doing, my mind wondered over to the thought of a certain brunette.

She had gone out to grab brunch with her friends; Pete and Kelsey, I think their names were. I had woken up with her absence, my bed feeling a little too empty without her there. Last night after messing about, she ended up sleeping beside me. It wasn't something new, in-fact, there had been several nights that she slept curled up on my chest whilst my arm was securely wrapped around her slim waist.

It felt natural. Sometimes, a little too natural. I couldn't deny that I felt content holding her and being so close to her. When I realized how I felt around Vanessa, my mind instantly pondered over to how I felt about Roxy.

Honestly, it felt like years had passed since Roxy and I were a couple. It was a strange feeling. I had grown to be around Roxy constantly, to have her apart of my life, and it felt strange that I'd no longer see her everyday, worry over the fact she was taking something.

It was somewhat refreshing.

I couldn't exactly figure out how I felt, but it was... complicated. On one hand, I felt like a heavy weight had been lifted off my shoulder, but on the other, it felt incredibly wrong. It felt wrong to move forward without Roxy by my side, to feel relieved that I no longer had to look over her every move.

Besides, sometimes it felt like Vanessa had purposefully walked into my life. She had changed it a lot and opened my eyes in  ways I never knew were possible. Just like that Roxy might not be the one for me.

Grunting, I pushed myself up, mentally telling myself my little break was over. 

One.

I went back to counting, starting from the beginning like I had done so the four other previous times. 

Two.

The door abruptly turned open and in stepped the alluring brunette. I had to pause with my actions, my eyes trailing across her. Her brown hair was pulled up into a ponytail, her blue eyes staring back at me, as a soft smile was etched onto her plump lips. A light pink summer dress hugged her wonderful figure, making me do a double take.

"Hey," She quietly said, that smile still playing on her lips.

"Hey," I replied, before going back down.

Three.

"How was brunch?" I questioned, grunting as I felt my torso ache. That familiar ache I lived for.

"It was nice," She told me, moving towards the end of my bed where she took a seat. 

Four.

"That's good," I murmured, before doing another sit up.

Five.

Eventually I managed to complete another round of twenty and decided to call it a day for my daily workout. Sitting up, I lifted the end of my shirt up and dragged it across my face, letting the material soak up all of my sweat.

"What about you?" Vanessa questioned, playing with the bracelet around her wrist. "Did you finish the business assignment you were working on?"

"It's completed," I sighed in relief, slowly standing up and grunting from the fierce ache that stretched across my stomach. Her eyes followed my movement, that familiar glint of lust gradually appearing in her blue orbs.