Chapter Three - 20th June 1632

Elizabeth had grown to dread answering knocks at the door of her lodgings. With Eric out doing God knows what and the maid off running errands, she was all alone. There had been incidents before. At least when she was out and about alone, when one of Eric's creditors or their hired hands approached her there would always be someone else around to step in. It had happened a lot in the south of France when she was out walking. She slowly began to live the life of a recluse because she was embarrassed to have such people threaten her and bombard her with insults in the street. The few new friends she managed to make anywhere she went were normally quite taken aback by such behaviour and Elizabeth did not blame them. They always defended her which she was grateful for, but it made matters worse in the end. Elizabeth felt bad that good and honest people were dragged into Eric's dodgy dealings and so she sacrificed those friendships for fickle women who were only friendly so that they could gossip about her later on.

The sharp rap came again and Elizabeth who was perched a few steps from the top of the staircase, didn't know what to do. It might well just be a message or an innocent encounter as it was broad daylight but Porthos's words of warning about the red guards returning made her hesitate. She should not be alone with men of any kind, let alone ones with a perilous reputation. The noise continued relentlessly and it began to distract her, breaking through her nerves and serving to annoy her. She was due to go out in a short while and it did not appear that the person on the other side of the door was going to give up any time soon. What would happen when she opened the door though? At best it might perhaps be a neighbour or some of those people she didn't want to call friends that had come to call, but it could be someone much worse. She was a woman home alone. The men her husband had wronged might take advantage of finding her in such a predicament.

Seeing no way to avoid answering the door when she needed to leave in a short while, Elizabeth crept down the staircase and stood in the vestibule before the door. In a second of quick thinking she designed for herself a safety mechanism and from the side she began to pull the chest of drawers out from the wall and towards the door. When it was finally in place a few inches from the door she unhooked the latch and pulled the door open by just a crack. The pirate musketeer and his friends stood crowded onto the top steps outside. Elizabeth couldn't help feeling a little relieved that it was not someone more sinister who awaited her outside, but she still felt a little stirring of annoyance that they'd felt the need to return so soon.

She began to push at the chest of drawers with her hips, sliding it back towards the wall a little as she opened the door wider. The sullen man was the first to turn towards her, his expression a cold one that Elizabeth did not care to understand at all. "Madame, we would speak with your husband."

The gruff statement left her feeling a little disembodied, as if she wasn't even there. It always antagonised her that other men would overlook her and always speak only with Eric. She was no fool, and was glad of it for a wise head was more than likely what had kept both her and Eric alive over the years. "He isn't here," she stated bluntly as she wedged her foot behind the door upon impulse. Something about the sullen fellow gave her the impression that he'd not hesitate to rush her and shove the door off it's hinges if he thought the occasion called for it.

Porthos tried for a friendly smile as he moved closer. "Perhaps you might tell us where he is Madame and we will not have to take up any more of your time."

Elizabeth wanted to laugh at that. How many women did she know who actually knew the whereabouts of their husbands at all times? She couldn't recall the last time Eric had willingly told her where he was going. Even if he was only venturing out to browse a book shop or two he considered it none of Elizabeth's business. Elizabeth tried for a small smile back but she could tell it was not believed. "I'm afraid my husband neglected to tell me where he would be this afternoon," she supplied thinly. "Perhaps I can help though? If there is anything in particular that you wished to ask I can try my best to aid you."