Chapter Nine - 23rd July 1632

An odd sort of clinking sound against the window pane had Elizabeth rousing from sleep.  She'd drifted off curled up in a chair by the fire rather awkwardly and her limbs protested as she tried to stretch them.  For a few seconds it was not entirely clear to her what had woken her until she heard the sound again.  Someone was throwing stones at the window.  It was nearing twilight outside and was indeed a strange time for visitors to a woman currently living alone.  Elizabeth was no longer a stranger to callers of later hours though.  She had an inkling of who might be outside but she had no patience for anyone.

At long length she managed to stand and amble over to the window.  She pushed up the sash and leaned out to observe who stood below.  She was met first with the sight of the thick brim of a hat before concerned blue eyes and a well trimmed beard made their appearance.  Elizabeth rolled her eyes slightly at the musketeer who held more stones clasped in his hand.

"I see no candle in my window tonight Athos.  I was not in need of company.  Nay, I do not have a want for it as I am overtired."  She was tempted to say goodnight and pull the window closed again without further conversation, but he got ahead of her.

"Elizabeth I'm not here for that.  I need to speak with you; it's important.  It concerns your father.  After we've spoken I shall go if you wish."

His face truly did look troubled and Elizabeth wondered what on earth he and his musketeer friends could possibly have found that warranted a call at such a late hour.  "I'll come down then; let you in," she called before she shut the window slowly.  

In the darkness of the hallway they said nothing at all to one another.  Athos only spoke when they had reached the parlour.  "You look paler than you did a few days ago."

Elizabeth chuckled lightly even though she did not find her own circumstances humorous.  "I would expect so Athos, given that I'm dying."

"Stop speaking of yourself like that," he chided as he motioned for her to sit on a couch and sat down beside her.  "You must have hope and faith.  We've discussed this.  You may yet meet with a doctor who may be able to help you."

"You didn't come here to talk about that," Elizabeth chimed as his positivity twanged her nerves.  

"No I did not," Athos replied as he took a piece of folded parchment from his pocket.  "I wanted to ask you if you recognise any of these names."

When the parchment was unfolded in his hands Elizabeth recognised her father's handwriting in the form of a list of names.  "What is this?" she asked as she took it from him.  

"It was found amongst some of your father's more well hidden things.  These are men he has been keeping tabs on here in Paris.  I suspect he was being paid to do so, perhaps by someone close to the English King.  Are any of these names familiar to you Elizabeth?"

Elizabeth scrolled down the list of french names that meant next to nothing to her.  Certainly she had heard the forenames and surnames used in common speech to address people or to discuss people but she did not know anyone with those particular names.  It was only the name at the very bottom of the list that she knew well enough.  "Charles Dempsey?"

"You know him?"

"He is one of Eric's earliest creditors," Elizabeth supplied as she handed Athos back the piece of parchment.  "I believe it is to Charles Dempsey that Eric owes the most money.  He was in debt even before we were married.  I only found that out a few weeks ago.  That man was the reason we were forced to flee England in the first place.  T'was him that caused all of that furore."

Athos nodded slowly.  "I already knew of his connection to your husband," Athos told her.  "I wanted to know if you knew how your father came to know his name?"

"Athos my father was a peer of the realm.  He knows many men!  Perhaps he knew Dempsey's father or something like that.  Who would be paying him to spy on Dempsey though?  Do you think this was why he was killed?"

"What do you know of Dempsey's own dealings Elizabeth?"

She shook her head.  "I know little.  I know he has rather a lot of money, but not enough to forgo hunting down Eric for what he owes.  I do not know him personally."

"The intelligence that France holds against him is that he plots to kill the English King.  We think perhaps your father was in lieu of the crown to watch this man whilst he was abroad in Paris."

Elizabeth waved a hand for him to falter.  "Wait.  You think my father was being paid by the crown?  The same crown that imprisoned his wife and children indefinitely and searched for him all over Christendom?"

"Your father's crimes were a lot less grievous than Charles Dempsey's, Madame.  I think perhaps you should consider that your father may have been offered something more substantial than money to watch such a man.  I think when all is considered your father could not have refused."

"They were going to release my mother and my brothers?"

Athos grimaced a little.  "I am not entirely sure the English crown would release your brothers.  Two hot headed young men in the prime of their lives who might make advantageous marriages and start a war?  No, I do think that they would have considered releasing your mother though.  She has been imprisoned in the tower these twenty two years and you have said yourself that she suffers from ill health.  I cannot think they will see her as a threat still."

"No, just a bargaining chip.  It seems to be all women are any good for."  Elizabeth fell into a sombre mood and was weary of Athos watching her too closely.  "I appreciate you bringing this news to me Athos; but why did you?"

"I thought you deserved to know, Elizabeth.  Over the course of the last weeks I feel that I've come to find you rather shrewd and observant.  You are also innocent.  I believe that you deserve to know.  Some of my friends might consider my dalliance with you a rather bold move but I think not one of them could have declined to get to know you better once they saw the true workings of your heart and mind."

"You know the true workings of my heart do you?"  Elizabeth laughed at that.  "I'm tired Athos.  I can't have another conversation like this.  I wish to retire to bed.  If you have any more to say might we leave it for another evening?  I feel I am not capable of taking any more in."

"I've upset you and that was not my intention!"  Athos moved closer to her and Elizabeth leaned away from him.  "You grow paler.  Might I fetch something for you?  Or can you find it within yourself to permit me to bring a doctor to you?"

"Certainly not!  I'm tired is all Athos.  Please let me retire now.  I just need to rest."

He stood and held out a hand to help her to her feet and walked with her into her bedchamber.  "Would you not have me stay with you Madame?"

Elizabeth had reached her bed and she used the bed-post as a pivot to turn and look at him.  "Athos I've told you I'm not up to it.  I think a tumble beneath the sheets might send me to the infirmary the way I feel."

"Elizabeth I did not mean that.  I only thought you might like some company, someone to hold you?  Is that not agreeable to you?  If you would rather be alone of course, I will go.  Just say the word."

"I did not think you were the type of man that offered a shoulder to cry or in my case cough and splutter on Athos.  It is an offer I appreciate, but you do not have to stay.  I'll be perfectly fine on my own."

Athos smiled at her then.  "I do not think you are the type of woman to crumble before a man you hardly know, but you've done so before me several times.  I consider us more than lovers Elizabeth.  You have one friend here in Paris who you might count upon, even though you would think yourself alone.  I wish to stay with you to offer you comfort and to ensure you are not alone if you are ill during the night.  If you would like me to stay, then tell me."

Elizabeth clawed halfheartedly at the laces of her bodice then.  "I suppose you might help me with these then, if you're staying."