Chapter Thirteen - 10th August 1632

Elizabeth stared down at her meagre amount of belongings packed into trunks.  It always amazed her every time she packed that she had so little so show for a life of twenty two years.  The carriage was already waiting outside and She had only to put on her coat.  She had not been able to see Athos before she left for he was called away on musketeer business.  She had left a note with a musketeer at the garrison who said Athos was not likely to return for a few days.  Elizabeth would have liked to have said goodbye, but she had no desire to delay her journey.  She did one last sweep of her room to ascertain that she had not forgotten anything before she lifted one end of her trunk to drag it out into the parlour.

The trunk fell back to the floor with a thump as she turned back towards the door and spotted Eric standing there.  His face was expressionless as he took in her travelling cloak and trunk.  He stepped slowly into the room towards her and Elizabeth took a decided step backwards.

"You're leaving?"  Eric asked her slowly.  "I thought you liked it here in Paris, Bess.  I thought that's why we separated in the first place, because you didn't want to leave?"

"Don't call me that!" Elizabeth snarled at him.  "You know as well as I do that our separation was caused by your behaviour over these last six years!  I wanted to separate because I wanted my life back Eric.  I didn't want to have to always be following you around like some fool!  I wanted to have the freedom of choice to go where I pleased.  That is exactly what I'm doing now.  I'm going into the country.  I've signed over the apartment back into the landlord's hands so I have no choice now anyway."

Eric was still advancing towards her slowly.  "I didn't think you'd want to leave so soon, not with that musketeer friend of yours sneaking around!"

"What?"

"Did you think I wouldn't find out?  I didn't think you were the type Elizabeth!  You know, of all the issues we had over the years I always believed you to be chaste and loyal.  Now you're cavorting around with a soldier.  It appears I was very wrong about you!"

"You're one to talk Eric," Elizabeth replied curtly.  "I know you've taken lovers throughout our marriage.  I never raised any issue with you though.  I only wished you might look to me for whatever those women were able to give you.  Well, with my leaving Paris you really will be free to do as you wish Eric.  I have no desire to prevent your dalliances.  You may do entirely as you please; although that's always been the case.  You never really considered my feelings at all did you?  Now you stand before me in an attempt to insult me for finding a friendship with someone who did not seek to use me in some way."

"Because that's all our marriage really was wasn't it Elizabeth?  Just convenience.  It was just a way for our parents to gain money and power.  I sought reassurance elsewhere because there was of course one thing you could never give me.  I'll not say a word about your compliance and your willingness but I needed a son Elizabeth.  You could never give me that, not after what happened in Italy.  You were always too delicate."

"Oh don't pretend that you were scared to touch me in case I broke.  Do you really expect me to believe that the only reason you've not wanted to conceive another child with me is because you were scared it would make me ill?  No, I disgusted you Eric!  I knew that the moment you walked away from me in that house in Italy.  Even your own brother was ashamed that you had left me there in such a condition.  You've not looked at me in the same way since it happened.  The fact that our baby died has rendered you completely repulsed by me."

Eric shrugged.  "If you wish to see things that way Elizabeth then I cannot stop you.  I only came to check on you and see if there was some news of your father's will."

"There's nothing for you!" Elizabeth snapped.  "Everything was left to his immediate family."

"So you were left something then?  Is it money?"

Elizabeth felt rage begin to build inside her. "If I had any money Eric, I would not give it to you!  You've ruined both our lives with your gambling and cheating and scheming and lying!  If I had all the money in the world I would not give you a sou!  Not after what you've put me through!"

She could see the colour rising in Eric's cheeks as he took the final step and closed the gap between them.  His hands were on her upper arms then, gripping painfully as he forced her down into a chair.  "You're an ungrateful little harlot Elizabeth!  My family gave you a name and protection!  Your own family name was in the dust and was likely to sink even further when we took you in!  I could have married anyone of my choosing and I took you on!  I felt sorry for you!  If I hadn't taken pity on you, you'd still be languishing in the tower with your snivelling relatives!  They still plague my family for money you know!  Once a month the letter comes through asking for money to maintain their stately rooms in the tower and my family oblige because of our marriage.  That is what our union brought you Elizabeth.  Perhaps you need some time to consider that!"

Elizabeth realised what Eric was about to do as he turned away from her and raced for the door.  With a sickening thud she collided with the door as Eric slammed it shut in her face.  The key turned quickly in the lock and was removed as Elizabeth cried out.  Long after Eric's footsteps had disappeared out onto the stairs she was still pommelling the door with her fists in desperation.  Sobbing uncontrollably, Elizabeth eventually gave into exhaustion and sank down onto the floor.  Her mind was in a panic as she tried helplessly to think of what she could do. 

~

Elizabeth woke with a jolt.  She'd fallen asleep leaning against the door.  When she recalled that Eric had locked her in her room hours earlier she immediately pulled herself to her feet and battled a coughing fit as she raced towards the open window.  The carriage she had ordered was no longer there, likely sent on by Eric with some lie that she no longer needed it.  The street was deserted and Elizabeth sank back down to the floor again.  There was no neighbour next door she might have hoped to shout to for help as that woman was locked in the Châtalet for killing her husband.  Elizabeth began to sob again as the swift realisation washed over her that a slow and agonising death locked in that room might just be her fate.

Her only hope, she knew was that the landlord may come by when the keys were not returned.  That olive branch was all that it took to get Elizabeth rising to her feet again to shuffle towards her bed.  She lay there on the cool sheets for a time and tried to sort her thoughts.  She had thought Eric to be many things, but she had not considered him to be so cruel.  Even though he'd not shown such anger before in his actions and could very well return later that evening or even the next morning to let her out, Elizabeth knew somehow that it was not going to happen.  There was a sense of finality about his cold and calculated treatment of her.  Elizabeth began to wonder if Eric had known in advance that she had planned to leave that morning.  Was he exacting some sick kind of revenge in locking her away so?  Perhaps he wanted use of the lodgings still?  Would he speak with the landlord and tell him that she was no longer leaving?  That sounded like something Eric might do.  If he had done so, then the landlord would have no reason to call to the apartment.  

Elizabeth felt a knot of worry tighten within her stomach.  She rolled onto her front and stared at the trunk she had packed only a few hours ago in anticipation of a peaceful stay in the country.  Even if Elizabeth did get out of the room, she would likely be too ill to travel by that point.  Eric had destroyed all of her plans.  Indeed he had destroyed the life of freedom that she had dreamed of for fourteen years.  A sudden decision was made in that moment and she got up and tore over to the writing desk in the corner.  She lifted a sheaf of parchment, some ink and a quill and curled up on the couch at the end of her bed.  She scribbled a note on the first page that she addressed to Athos.

I hope my words are a semblance of truth, and aid you as they have not aided me.  

To be given only to Athos of the king's musketeers.

Then she began at the beginning, scratching out each memory she recalled of her husband's dealings and his creditors and accomplices.  If it was to be the last thing she did, she would ensure that any details that she thought unimportant would still be known to the one person who would be able to act upon them.