13

"So just to recap. You and Jeremy got to Rachel's place to find it empty. Then you broke in and ransacked her bedroom. To find out Rachel is no more and she really is Vanessa. The witch that Stefan found to bring you two back in the first place. And all of this is to get back at Bonnie for allowing Mason to take her back when you were killing kids. She also has a quasi vendetta against everyone for using her."

"Umm, the kids part is a little more complicated than that, but yes that's the gist."

"I can't say I blame her." Elena braced herself against the dashboard as he rounded another curb like a maniac. "Well you don't have to be so sensitive about it. The kids came back to life."

He leveled a glare at her.

"And I agree this is the wrong time to bring either up." She put on her seat belt and tried to act normal. But deep inside she was worried about one of her longest friends. "We have a cure for the sickness, and Caroline and Patti are working on it now. Enzo will bring it when its done. So will give it to Bonnie when he shows up. After killing Vanessa for good, and all will be well."

"All will be well," he said, but he wasn't an all will be well type of guy. He was a what would his daughter do without his mother type of guy. Should he be picking out funeral plots type of guy. And whats the best way to commit suicide and be with your loved one type of guy.

Elena placed her hand on his arm. "Its going to be okay. We're going to save her."

"For Mila. . . and me."

The others were supposed to meet them at the barn, once they got things squared away. No one had any real plan on how to deal with this witch, but they were running out of time trying to figure it out. He took a path off road that he knew would lead him directly to the barn and the small clearing beyond. Their headlights the only light for miles around. There was no way to sneak up on her, and surely she would see them coming, but he had to hope that he could still reason with her. That's if she was there.

And what else would you expect from a maniac, he thought. The smell of smoke lighting a panic in his heart. He cut off the engine and got out of the car. Rushing towards the burning barn to see Vanessa in the entryway. "What are you doing here, Vanessa?"

She smirked. "Awww, he finally knows my name."

"So does the woman that you've been calling your sister. We all see you for who you are. So you have no choice, but to run and salvage what little life you have left," he said, his eyes drifting to Bonnie with every word. Who still appeared to be sleeping peacefully. Even as the top of the barn burned around her.

"Its cute that you think that's even a possibility," she said tossing the oil can away, and walking towards him. "But she should have never went to Heaven, and I'm going to make sure that the next thing she feels is the fiery pits of hell."

"We're all victims in this, Vanessa."

She held up her hands, and sent him flying out of the barn. "Some more than others."

Elena who was hiding just outside the door, managed to get one punch off to the face before she too was banished across the forest. Her back hitting a tree.

"Take you're hands off him. He's my man, bitch." Bonnie gripped the door of the barn as if the very wood was giving her energy. The top half of the barn was on fire. Pieces of wood falling like stars behind her. Her chest heaving as if it took all her strength even to say that much.

"Bonnie, no. Run," Elena screamed.

"Stay out of this," Vanessa whined. Throwing up her hands and managing to put a large gash across Elena's cheeks. Until the flesh was peeling off her skin, revealing her teeth underneath.