14

"I want you to know that I love you, and the greatest gift you've ever given me is Mila. And I'll teach her about witchcraft, and being one with the ancestors, but more importantly. I'll show her kindness, because that is all her mother has ever shown me. I will teach her about beauty because for a short time I got to touch my own slice of perfection. I will teach her about humility because the strongest voice in the room was never mine."

"Mommy." Came Mila's high pitched shriek as she ran to kneel by her mothers side. Cutting off anything else he wanted to say to her to allow his daughter to have her time. Tears streaking down her face.

"Caroline!" He barked looking back at the woman who was finding her own solace in Stefan's arms.

"She deserves to say goodbye. We all do." Her voice trembling until she could barely get out the words.

" Her voice trembling until she could barely get out the words

Stefan took her hand and addressed his brother. "We all do."

"Daddy, save mommy. She said you save everyone. Save mommy," Mila cried, hitting him on his chest with her tiny fist. "I just want us to be a family. No more fighting. And I want mommy to be okay. But even before she got hurt. She was always sad. So sad."

He looked back at Bonnie to find her gazing up at the sky, at something that she could only see. Her eyes growing distant by the second.

 Her eyes growing distant by the second

"Fix things. The way you always do, and save mommy."

He bit back his own tears. "I can't, baby."

"Mila, say goodbye and come back over here with us where its safe," Caroline begged.

"No where's safe without mommy?" Mila cried, laying her head on Bonnie's chest. "I just want her to come back."

He ran his hands through his baby's curly brown hair, and laid his head on her back. There were a thousand things he wanted at that moment, but nothing more than to switch places with Bonnie. If it meant taking his daughter's pain away. He made a promise into the air that from that moment forward every decision he made would be about her and not himself. That he would finally put someone first, and he would start by admitting the truth.