/ / 4. I GUESS I'LL NEVER LEARN / /

Though the hours had come and passed it felt as though each minute was infinite. The room's only noise became the loud exchanges of laughter, and later...slurred conversation, with sheer depression. It was as if the two were prophesied to spend that exact moment with one another, doing the exact thing in which they were...

The tears against Ellie's face fell endlessly, and felt as if each drop was the sharpest glass that could possibly cut. Matty watched her, unsure of what to say, or possibly do. He'd made sure he didn't get more drunk than she, at all times...even when they went back for more and more again. So he woudn't be blindly provoked to do anything ignorant or rash, with her...although with everything in him wanted to. He sighed as the height of the night had come to the lowest crash down, and reached his hand out to her back.

"I just don't understand, what's so wrong with me? What would make Andrew sleep with someone else, what don't I have that she does?" She said more than asked.

"He's an idiot...he's...a guy...he's...a teenager...he's...horny...he's...an idiot." He said, trying to form a sentence that could make sense, giving up as he realized he couldn't. Typically, he'd tell her how amazing she was and how much better he could be for her, but he couldn't. It was Ellie.

He didn't know what it was about her that he was so drawn into. He didn't know if it was because his head was spinning and he was in a drunken state, or if it was a genuine feeling. He wanted to be an anchor as she was already drowning, but in the back of his mind he knew it was safer on the ground. His inability to have a platonic relationship would only hurt her in the end, just as this Andrew chump had already done.

He stood up and grabbed his jacket, not allowing her to stop him or change his mind, "let's get you home and to bed. It's been hours already...more thanthree." He said, looking at the time.

"We can't drive, can we?" She asked, grabbing her's too.

"No, we're gonna have to walk, I can't possibly drive like this...it's not too far though, we've walked from here to there before."

"We?" She asked, zipping her jacket up and holding onto the couch as once again she couldn't hold her balance. Wrecked. She'd never been so drunk in her life and frankly she didn't know if she was coming or going.

"Your brother and me." He said.

Tears continued to fall down her face once again, Matty sighed, growing impatient, "What is it now?" He asked.

"I'm gonna be sick." She ran into the bathroom, dropping to her knees before the toilet. Matty rolled his eyes, he had to get her out of the house. As fun as it was, he began to grow paranoid. He didn't know what he had gotten himself into, and frankly he didn't want to find out. The sounds of her gagging made him feel sick himself.

He hesitated and went in behind her, sitting down beside her and brushing her hair back with his fingers, holding it out of the way.

"Is he the reason you wanted to get drunk?" He asked, realizing what she'd put herself through.

She didn't answer, fairly. Idiot, why would you ask her a question while she's in the middle of bringing up everything you two just drank?

She sat up, flushing the toilet and fixing her hair in the mirror.

"I can't hold my liquor for shit." She whined, she was an emotional wreck, and even still Matty hadn't grown too tired of her...though he added a reminder in the back of his mind to never get drunk with her again.

---------------------------

The sky's stars provided them more light than street lamps ever could, as they made their way through the darkened neighborhood. Matty started to feel more and more sober, and his head began to hurt more and more as Ellie's voice rang through his ears.

"You know what I love?!" She asked.

"Hm?" Matty asked.

"Tonight! Tonight has been such a great night!" Her voice grew even louder, so loud it echoed down the streets.

"For crying out loud settle down! You know I can't be found with you!" He whispered as they were now a few houses down from her own.

She couldn't control herself or help it, even so she knew he was right, realizing her voice was so loud..."you're right, I'm talking too much, I'm sorry." She said.

He didn't say anything for a moment, then a small smirk formed across his face, "I love tonight too." He admitted, despite the torture of her yapping on about Andrew half the night and crying.

She tripped over the sidewalk, yet again. He grabbed her by the waist, holding her up. That too.

"It's so dark, I can't see. Sorry." She searched for any excuse to not admit she'd over done it with the Tequila.

They both stopped and stared at the driveway as they approached her house. Her parents car in the driveway and all the lights in the house on. She turned back to Matty, wide eyed.

"How am I supposed to get through the house like this and everyone's awake?" She panicked.

He sighed, panicking inside himself, "shit," he pulled out her pack of cigarettes from his pocket. He knew it wasn't the time, but he needed it. He took his lighter out and lit it, then pulled her aside, "look at me," the smoke hit her straight in the face, she shut her eyes tightly, "sorry." He said, blowing it out to the left of him, "just go in, don't talk to anyone, and go straight to your room, and to bed. Got it?"

"They're gonna know," she cried, she'd always done something to fuck her privileges up in the past, and her parents already didn't trust her as it was.

"No, no no don't start crying, just listen to me." He said.

"I am listening." She said, assuming she was quiet though still talking a bit too loud.

"Then do it." He urged.

She wiped her face and nodded, going up to her door and looking back at him as he waved. She began to feel worried more for him than herself. Thoughts tracing her mind about him getting home safely at two in the morning alone and drunk. She turned to the door a he walked off, worried about her too.

She took her keys out and went inside, seeing her parents weren't in the living room she quickly ran upstairs, tripping once again over two yet not allowing herself to fall. She hurried to her room, bumping into Alex as he came out of the bathroom.

"Where have you been?!" he whispered, looking down the hall, "mum and dad have been back hours ago and I had to tell them you were at Holly's because if I let them know I let you go to Andrew's this late they'd kill me!"

Ellie laughed at how serious he was, trying to hold her composure and failing.

He could smell the alcohol on her breath, "Ellie are you drunk?" His eyes widened.

She nodded, "where's mum and dad?"

He sighed heavily, walking her to her room and opening the door, "they're in the office now just change your clothes and brush your teeth, they could smell you from downstairs if they were to come out." He said, turning on the light.