Story 1

I am a genetically thin girl. No matter how much I eat, I just cannot get fat. It is just the way my body is.

Unfortunately, this is something that no one but me realized. I understood this about three years ago, I am perfectly healthy, not malnourished in any way. My body just does not have the tendency to store fat.

When I was a child, people would go out of their way to tell me that I should eat more or that I should have milk or fruit or whatever they thought would make me fatter in any way possible. I would get really uneasy and insecure about my body. This still happens to me, but back when I was about ten years old, I did not have the courage to stand up for myself and tell other people that this was my body and they had no right to make me feel uncomfortable about it.

I feel that I was verbally abused as well, when people called me "a skeleton" or because my face is slightly oval, "a mango." They had no right to do that!

Since I had the realization that no could make me feel insecure about something that they had no right to comment on, I have started standing up for myself and telling people exactly why I cannot get fat.

Whenever I have to do this, I make sure to go out of my way to be gentle and polite to make people realize that this is perfectly normal. This is my body. I like it the way it is. There is nothing wrong with it. And if I have no problem, then they must not either.

Before, I stood up for myself, my family and especially some of my friends made me feel very uncomfortable by continuously telling me that I am underweight and I am. But that is fine because I eat my proper share of food and my body is not lacking in any way.

Since I found the courage to voice my rights, people have stopped bothering me as well. They can see that I will fight back, so they do not comment in the first place.

This makes me feel incredibly proud of myself and my body. I feel much more comfortable and secure in my own skin now. I love my body because this is who I am and no one can change it!