Chapter 12

Sam had just planned on heading straight to bed. It's late, and he wants to get up bright and early tomorrow to keep Gabriel company again. He doesn't want to leave the angel alone for to long. That's been his mindset since hey first rescued him, but since his reasons for it change all the time. He wanted to keep him safe from Dean, or to stop him from doing anything trickstery, but now, he just doesn't want him to get lonely.

Unfortunately for him, he nearly walks right into Cas, and he feels obligated to stop and talk to him.

"How is he doing?" Castiel asks, seeming genuinely concerned, almost as much as he would be if it were Sam or Dean who were hurt. There must still be a bit of a brotherly bond there, even if they haven't really seen each other since Gabriel beat him up for trying to tell the Winchesters who he really was.

"I don't know," Sam admits. "Sometimes I think he's fine, and this is just gonna blow over and he'll be back to his usual self. But sometimes..."

"Sometimes...?" Castiel prompts.

"I don't know. Sometimes we'll stop talking, and he'll just kinda change, and it just looks like this is the end for him. The Gabriel we knew — the trickster, Loki, whatever — sometimes it looks like he's gone, and all that's left is this empty shell."

Castiel sighs. "I can't say I'm surprised. I can only imagine how long he's been in Hell for, and with Asmodeus..." He shakes his head to himself. "I'm sure it was rough on him. At least he's willing to talk to you. He hasn't said a word to me yet."

"I'm sure he will," Sam says, putting a hand on his shoulder reassuringly. "He just needs time. He won't strike up a long conversation about the meaning of the universe right off the bat, but if you sit with him for a few minutes and keep talking to him, he'll eventually start talking back. That's how it goes with us. Just be gentle with him."

Castiel nods in understanding. "Would you like me to do that now?" he offers. "I'm guessing you're finally going to bed, correct? I could stay with him."

"Yeah, that would be great," Sam agrees. "And make sure Dean stays out of there, will you? I don't think Gabriel is ready to see him again."

"Of course," Castiel replies. "I don't think we have to worry about that, though. He's sleeping, and knowing him, he won't wake up until long after you do."

Sam chuckles. "That's probably a good thing. Alright, see you in the morning, Cas. And remember, be gentle with Gabriel. He needs it."