Chapter 34

"You haven't said a word since you got in the car," Sam says as he finishes up last of Gabriel's stitches, alone in his room because he knows Gabriel's more likely to talk when it's just the two of them. "What's going on with you?"

"I didn't know one of the conditions of our agreement was that I had to talk," Gabriel deadpans.

"Well, you don't have to," Sam says. "But it would be nice. This absolute silence is getting kind of awkward."

"It's only awkward because you're making it awkward," Gabriel replies.

"No, I'm pretty sure it's just awkward."

Gabriel sighs, lolling his head back to look up at the ceiling. "Well, I'll be out of your hair in a few minutes, don't you worry."

"What? No!" Sam says quickly. "I don't want you to leave. I want to talk to you."

"Well, I don't want to talk to you. I want to leave," Gabriel says. "I guess we've reached an impasse."

Sam lets out a long breath and sits down across from him. "Just, tell me one thing; then I'll leave you alone."

Gabriel rolls his eyes. "Go for it."

"If you're really done saving the world and pulling us out of the fire, why do you keep coming back?"

Gabriel presses his lips into a firm line, and for a moment, Sam doesn't think he's going to answer. After a few moments, he says, "I don't know. Guess I'm a little sentimental."

Sam chuckles. "Wow, Gabe, if I didn't know better, I'd say you're starting to like us."

Gabriel scoffs. "What? No, I'm —" He cuts himself off suddenly and raises an eyebrow. "Did you just call me 'Gabe'?"

"I..." Did he? He didn't even realize it. "Maybe? Is that a problem?"

"Nah." Gabriel waves a hand dismissively. "But if we're on the nickname phase, how long 'til I get to call you Sammy?"

"Never," Sam deadpans. "I will dump you out on the street."

Gabriel rolls his eyes. "Bitch, please. You guys have been begging me to stick around since you found out I was still alive. You're way to desperate for that."

"Then I'll lock you in the dungeon."

"A lock won't hold me," Gabriel reminds him. "I'm an angel, not a toddler."

"I'll stick you in a ring of holy fire in the dungeon." By this point, he can't even pretend it's a serious threat.

"Then how will I save you whenever you need help?"

When it becomes clear Sam doesn't have a respond to that, Gabriel grins triumphantly. As far as Sam's concerned, though, he's the winner here. Gabriel seems to be back to his normal self, and he's still talking about saving them, even if it is rather condescending. These are good signs.

Sam finishes with Gabriel's wounds, and the archangel stands up, stretching his arms up. "Ah, good as new. Thanks, Sam. Now I'm out of here."

"Seriously?" Sam says in disbelief. "Just like that?"

"Were you expecting me to stick around?" Gabriel asks. "Because that was never the plan, and I thought I made that very clear. I still have some stuff to take care of. Places to be, people to kill — you know how it is."

"Let us help you," Sam says, almost begging at this point. Why is he so convinced that he has to do this on his own?

"Maybe this is your problem," Gabriel says. "You're so desperate to do something, to do anything, that you just can't comprehend that sometimes, there's nothing for you to do. The world is fine right now. There's no life-threatening danger just around the corner. You've finally got your family back. Hang out with them instead."

"But if you're going to go on some kamikaze mission to kill a bunch of demigods —"

"You don't have to be a hunter all the time," Gabriel interrupts. "Right now, I think the best thing you could do is to go hang out with Jack like a normal father. It's your best shot at keeping him from going all dark side on you."

Sam hesitates. He knows Gabriel is right. They should be bonding with the kid. But he's a nephilim. His idea of a good time isn't playing catch in the yard; he's a hunter. He'd probably enjoy going with Gabriel more than anything Sam could think up here at the bunker.

As if reading his mind, Gabriel adds, "And if you guys really need to get your kicks in, go hunt down a vampire or something. Go do some actual good, instead of just hopping onboard with me. I can take care of myself."

"And if you can't?" Sam asks. "What if you die trying?"

Gabriel raises an eyebrow. "Do I look like the kind of guy that death sticks to?"

Sam pauses, then sighs in defeat. "Alright, fair enough."

"Thank you," Gabriel says indignantly. "Not that I needed your approval, but I don't want you rushing into my fight when I least expect it."

Sam nods in reluctant agreement. "Are we ever going to see you again?"

Gabriel shrugs. "I don't know. I'm just an angel, not a psychic." Seeing that this clearly isn't what Sam wanted to hear, he adds, "I have no plans to come back here. I'm not joking when I say that I don't like teamwork. But I never seem to be able to stay away from you for long. I'd be surprised if I don't run into you again."

"As a friend or as an enemy?" Sam asks.

"You know, I don't think I'll ever really be either of those."

And with that, he disappears.