18. Old Friend

"Well, I missed you too." Gally chuckled as he rubbed his red cheek. I smiled and nodded proudly. His men were aiming their guns at me but he quickly motioned for them to stop. Newt then pulled me to his side.

"How? How's this possible? We watched you die." Newt spoke.

"No, you left me to die." Gally corrected. "And if we hadn't found you when we did, you'd be dead right now."

"You must feel really good about yourself, then." I mocked.

Everyone fell silent for a while. The boys were still trying to let the fact that Gally was still alive, sink in. I was still mad at him for trying to hide me in that damn box when Newt and the others were planning to leave the glade.

"What are you doing here?" Gally asked.

"Minho." Newt answered. "WCKD has him. We're trying to find a way in."

"I can help with that. Follow me."

"We're not going anywhere with you." Thomas insisted.

I rolled my eyes. "Thomas! Can you please stop whining?"

His frown disappeared as he stooped down. He had no choice. There was no way we could enter those walls by ourselves. Gally was probably making up for his actions in the past.

The ex-builder led us further into the place while explaining his side of the story. He was rescued by a group led by someone named Lawrence. They found Gally was immune so they took him. He was just lucky I guess. People certainly take extra measures when it comes to being immune.

I was about to throw up when we finally met Lawrence. I haven't met a lot of people in my life, but he was definitely the most hideous one. His nose was missing and his skin was mostly covered with roots or veins I don't even know which one. Thomas and him tried negotiating with each other. Gally agreed to help us find a way into WCKD's main facility but he told us it wouldn't work without Thomas.

While the rest stayed behind, Thomas, Newt and I followed Gally to the city by entering through a sewer.
"Gally, take care of these three." Frypan reminded.

I began sweating and coughing again for some reason and I could sense Newt looking at me worriedly.

"Love, just stay here. We'll be back."

"Not happening." I was about to remove my jacket and bend down to tie my shoes when I noticed visible black veins appearing on my right arm.

Shit. Not now.

I stood up and kept staring at the veins, feeling blood rise up to my brain. I quickly slipped my jacket back again to hide the evidence and glanced at Brenda and Jorge before climbing down the stairs to the tunnel.

The tunnel reeked and I kept gagging as we headed further. It smelled like a mixture of rotten eggs and decaying bodies. My stomach was churning and my eyes began to water.

"You alright?" Thomas asked. I nodded my head and motioned for him to keep walking.

The floors were not even in the slightest bit slippery but I kept slipping, like my body just forgot how to balance itself. Luckily Newt was always there to assist me.

"I'm really sorry for what I did back in the glade." Gally said. "I was just worried... And impressed you made it this far."

I huffed in annoyance. I was not in the mood for any heartfelt conversation or emotional reunion.

We finally reached the end of the sewer and was about to enter a train tunnel, according to Gally.

"We're gonna run, aren't we?" I asked. Before anyone could answer, a train passed by and the noise was too much to handle I had to cover my weakass ears.

"Okay, we gotta be quick about this!" Gally yelled as he instructed. "Stay on me, ok?" Before we could even react, Gally then hopped off the sewer's opening and began running on the train tracks. I crawled out and sprang to my feet.

"Gally what the hell are we doing?" Thomas shouted as he tried to catch up with the ex-builder's speed.

"Less talking, more running!" Gally yelled back.

A few seconds later, another train would pass by and I would never allow myself to die on a hit and run incident. I was following Gally while Newt and Thomas were behind me. The tracks began to tremble, signalling another train approaching.

I cussed as I bolted faster. I glimpsed back at Newt who was running slower than expected so I caught up to him and grabbed his hand, dragging him faster as the train was zooming closer. I kept stealing glances at his leg, making sure he wouldn't trip and injure himself.

"Come on! We're almost there!" Gally bellowed.

But Newt couldn't run faster and Thomas had to leave us behind as the train was only a few meters in front. As the roaring train neared, I immediately yanked Newt to the side, pressing my head on his chest, clutching his shirt as we dodged the train and waited for it to pass by. I was panting heavily and shut my eyes, thinking of anything worse than being hit by a shucking train.

"Holy shit. That was close." Newt whispered and kissed my head. He held my hand as we caught up with Gally and Thomas who looked so relieved when they saw the both of us still alive.

We then exited a door and ended up in a city station. We blended with the crowd and Newt held my hand just in case I'd wander off.

The city was beautiful. Maybe too beautiful. I kinda wished I got the chance to leave in a place like this. But when I heard the noise of several trains and vehicles pass by, I changed my mind.

"This is a long way from the glade." Newt said.

"I don't think track-hoes would like it here." I joked.

The boys just chuckled and we continued our journey. We climbed up one of the walls and made it to a lookout tower, overlooking WCKD's heavily guarded main building.

"Looks like a bloody fortress."

I gripped the railing as soon as I begin to lose my balance again. Large beads of sweat trickled from my forehead and my head felt like it was being squeezed by two walls. Thomas was still looking through that weird device Gally gave him, aiming at the said building.

I shoved Thomas away and grabbed the device, positioning it on my right eye. And there she was, Teresa, now working on the lab. As much as I despised her, she was our only chance of getting in. But I have to be honest, I did trust her since she always told me back at WCKD that she'd find a cure for me.

I didn't realize I was already breathing heavily and shaking. I felt like there were several tiny creatures crawling on my head. It was an unexplainable sensation. I handed the device back to Thomas before dropping to the floor.

"Maya.." Newt placed his arm around my back, looking at me worriedly. "What's wrong?"

"I'm..... I just feel di.." Before I could even continue, my stomach began to feel crazy so I lurched to the side and began to vomit blood. Blood.

"I told you to stay with Brenda." Newt spoke softly as he rubbed my back.

"I'm fine. I swear. The sewer was just disgusting." I lied again.

"Well you need to endure a li'l longer cause that's the same route going back." Gally stated.