Chapter 2

It was July 4th, two weeks after I told Casey that we were going to be parents. We were going to a cookout at his parents house to celebrate Independence Day. Casey really wants to tell his parents tonight, but I want to wait until I'm going into my second trimester. I just don't want to get anyone's hopes up.

We arrived at his mom and dad's house just as some of his cousins and other family members had arrived. Casey went to get out but I stopped him.

"I don't want to tell them yet, not tonight." I told him "I know you want to, but we need to be sure."

"Sure of what? We know you're pregnant!" He responded and I could tell he was crushed.

"I just need you to listen to me on this" I begged

"Why? We've been wanting this for so long, I know my mom wants grandchildren badly." He looked back at me.

"I just don't want anyone's hopes up yet, I'd rather wait until I enter my second trimester. Just so we can be sure." I urged "god! What if we lose this baby? Then everyone would be crushed"

He sighed, then smiled "Ok, we will wait. But you know they're going to wonder when we drink the traditional beer tonight before the bonfire."

Shit, how could I forget! Alcohol. I can't drink it. We all drink a beer before the bonfire starts, it's tradition. Casey's dad likes to think of it as celebrating the American way.

"Dammit! Well I'll just have to say I'm the DD" I told him my quick coverup.

"Let's hope they buy it." Casey replied with a bit a doubt laced in his voice.

I know he wants to tell his family, but what if I don't make it to my second trimester? Then we would have all had our hopes up for nothing but heartbreak.

None the less, we got out of the car and went inside his parents house. His mom greeted us and gave us both huge hugs.

"It's so good to see you both!" Casey's mom beamed.

"Geez, mom, it's like you haven't seen us in ages." Casey huffed.

"It's great to see you too, Lynda" I said with a smile to Casey's mother as she gave him a stern look and then shot a smile towards me.

Lynda welcomed us into the house like she does every time we come over. We made our way to the kitchen and one of Casey's cousins, John, handed us each a beer.

I handed mine back "Could I get a water instead?" I asked

The people in the kitchen looked at me with suspicious eyes.

"I'm the DD tonight, so Casey can have as many as he wants" I explained

"But Casey isn't a big drinker. I don't think he will get drunk enough that he can't drive." John replied

"She doesn't want to drink tonight. Is that too much to handle" Casey snapped at his cousin.

"Hey, we all drink, every ye-" John started to argue back when Lynda came into the kitchen.

"Alright you two, enough!" She shouted "If Janice wants water, give her a water"

"Thank you" I said to her as John handed me a water bottle.

John was finally starting to warm up to me. After all these years and I hope that I didn't just severe the bridge we had been building.

"I'm sorry to be so rude, I'd just rather not drink tonight" I apologized to John hoping it would make things ok.

He smiled "it's ok, I understand. I'm sorry for snapping"

Soon, we were eating delicious hotdogs and the sky was darkening. It was almost time for the bonfire. And the traditional beer everyone drank. I may have been able to avoid a beer earlier but I'm not so sure about now. Within the next few minutes, everyone gathered around the fire pit and beers were being passed out. Casey looked at me and leaned in to me and whispered "You don't have take a beer, they'll understand"

"Well, I obviously am not going to take one, I don't want to." I whispered back.

When a beer was being brought to me, I shook my head no "Thanks but I'm not drinking tonight."

Casey's dad, Adam, looked at me confused "It's tradition"

"I know, and I am sorry to break it, but I'm not really in the mood to drink" I explained to him, hoping he would leave me alone.

Unfortunately, that was not what happened. Casey's dad looked at his wife and then back to me with a smile.

"I guess I can be happy with the reason you're choosing not to drink." He said

Shit. He knows. His wife knows. Why couldn't I just take the damn beer and pretend to drink it or something? Because I am stupid. Damn pregnancy brain.

"I'm going to be a grandma!" Lynda shouted in joy.

Quickly everyone cheered.

Casey spoke up, "Well, we wanted to wait a little while longer, but it seems that the cat is out of the bag."

I smiled, although a bit upset because I wanted to wait, and feeling foolish because Casey wanted to tell his family, and I basically did it with all the refusing to drink alcohol.

"I'm sorry to have seemed a little rude tonight, I just wanted to wait until the second trimester." I finally spoke "just to be sure that I was well enough along."

Though it seems everyone was happy, there was one person here who wasn't. I was not happy. I wanted to wait, now everyone knows. Now, we have to be even more careful. I'm fully aware of how cautious this pregnancy is and I feel that my other half doesn't. Maybe it's my hormones. I just don't know what will be thrown our way next.

___________________________

****

Hey guys, I remembered after my haste in publishing this that I didn't end the chapter properly. So I added a small paragraph.

Are Janice's hormones getting the better of her? Does Casey really not understand how hard this pregnancy will be? Find out in chapter 3.

I'm starting my second year in college in just a few weeks so, bare with me on this.

Leave comments and feedback.