Chapter 16: Different Worlds

Chapter 16

Different Worlds

Terron sat at the base of the tree that Impetus was napping in. He wasn't quite sure how much time had passed since Zekra left. But, he could tell that he'd have to continue to wait. For a long time, that was. She wouldn't return for at least four more hours.

The Cubone wasn't sure what to do with the rest of his time. He couldn't go to the gym, for he still didn't have the proper club. He didn't want to go train in the Gray Lands either since it wouldn't feel the same without Zekra there. Terron had Impetus, but he didn't quite feel he shared a connection with the Mienfoo as he shared with Zekra.

Terron looked up at his companion to find she was still napping. She must have still been tired, or perhaps she was very bored. Terron wanted to say he was becoming bored as well, but he knew that the feeling growing inside him was not monotony. No, he knew that this feeling was lonesomeness.

He had been fighting it off, but it was getting worse as time passed.

Terron hated the way it made him feel. The further the loneliness spread into his heart, the more it gave birth to a terrible kind of bitterness he did not want to feel. Soon, Terron decided that he didn't want to put up with the feeling anymore. He needed to get something else on his mind.

He got to his feet.

"Impetus," Terron called in a low voice.

The Mienfoo opened her eyes and glanced down at the Cubone.

"We should go visit Len," Terron said. "He wanted to talk to me about something, so we might as well go do that. So, come on down and I'll show you the inside of the base when we go visit Len."

Impetus jumped off the tree branch and landed besides Terron. He stared at her for a moment, wondering to himself how she didn't break her legs from falling at such a height. Once he realized that he couldn't find an answer, he headed into the base with Impetus.

As the two went inside, the Mienfoo actively glanced around, turning in every direction she could. She didn't seem to be in a panic due to the inside of the tree having much less confinement than a room, but the Mienfoo still appeared confused by the walls. She went up to the nearest wall and tapped her paws against it before dashing over to the other wall of the tree and doing the same thing. Thankfully, hardly anyone was in the base, so she didn't bother anyone with her strange behavior.

Terron watched her repeatedly go back and forth between the two ends of the tree.

After five minutes, Impetus finally stopped investigating the sides of the tree and came back to Terron. She still had a puzzled expression, but she wasn't fretting over what was bothering her at least. Terron then headed for the stairs. He had only made it up three steps when he realized that Impetus wasn't following him.

Terron looked behind him to find the Mienfoo was staring at the stairs oddly. The design was very strange to her since the wild didn't have anything remotely similar to stairs. Terron went back down to her side. She stared at him.

"You just step onto the little steps," Terron explained as he went up a couple of steps. "Like what I just did. It's pretty simple."

The Mienfoo looked back at the steps and carefully put her foot on the first step. Then, she took the next step. Her climb was slow, but she seemed to understand the concept. Terron smiled as he made his way further up the stairs, making sure he didn't walk too fast.

When he got to the floor of the office, he found that Impetus was walking up the stairs on all fours now. Terron was about to correct her, but then he realized that she was probably doing this so that she had an easier time climbing. After all, she seemed to be walking at a faster pace. So, he decided he'd let her climb that way for now.