Chapter 44: Proselytize

Chapter 44

Proselytize

Terron staggered at the sight of Yimtri and his two companions hovering beside him.

Upon looking into the glowing gemstones of the livid Sableye, a wave of memories came over Terron; memories of when he first met the Sableye. The time anxiously navigating his way through the wretched forest. The arduous conflict between his team and the Erebus-controlled Sableye. The horrifying revelation that the Sableye refused to confess to for so long. The torturous conversation he had with the Sableye after Aurora Town was gutted by Plagued Ones.

He could see each memory so clearly.

Yet, despite the disdain he held in each of the memories, he could not feel it now. Despite how much he grew to despise the Sableye for all the misfortunates that befell the ones he loved, Terron couldn't feel the spite swell inside him.

There was only a consuming dread.

"Hello there, Terron," Yimtri hissed, glaring directly at the Cubone. "It's been a while since I've last seen you, hasn't it?"

For just a second, Terron could feel Yimtri's claws in his throat, a mere centimeter shallow from puncturing his jugular.

He knew that phantom feeling would soon be real if something wasn't done.

But before he could even attempt to formulate a plan, Zeverous sprang to his feet and crouched low to the ground on all fours. His eyes illuminated ominously, their brilliance almost rivaling Yimtri's. He stood before Team Vendetta, as if trying to block them from the ghosts' view. A low, menacing snarl emitted from the Zoroark.

"Yimtri... what are you doing here?"

The Sableye let out a snort. His scowl only seemed to deepen.

"So it is you, Zeverous," Yimtri said. "My followers couldn't remember the name little Zekra screamed at you after Shade put you out. But, so I see. You're still alive and just as plagued as I remember you were."

"What are you doing here?!" Zeverous screamed. "Why are you here?! How did you get here?!"

"Yes, you're still so heavily influenced by your plagued self, just like last time," Yimtri noted indifferently. "It still clings to your petty grudge. It feels so difficult to resist its urges so you can protect your sister and her despicable friends, doesn't it?"

The glow in Zeverous's eyes flared and his body began shaking.

"So, why am I here, you ask?" the Sableye went on. "Well, that has a very simple answer; I'm here to have the ones behind you receive their punishment for breaking the oath they each swore to me."

Terron, Zekra, and Novus cringed as they scooted away from the ghastly company and behind the mighty stature of the Zoroark. Though Zeverous hadn't been in their company for long, he vaguely understood the Sableye's words. He grit his teeth tight as his fur stood on end.

"And how did I find you? Why, with some help from my dear members," Yimtri said as he outstretched his arms toward the two by his sides. "Ghost-types, after all, make excellent spies. They did a very fine job of shadowing you and alerting me of precisely where you hid away after you fled from Shade."

The Mismagius's and Chandelure's grins widened. Yimtri kept his scowl as he lowered his arms, his dark expression never changing.

"So, step aside, Zeverous. I give you your choice now. Get out of my way or suffer the same fate those three wretched Pokémon will. It's your choice."