6: So This is Love (part 2)

I got up and slipped on a pair of sneakers. My head was pounding, and I didn't know if it was because of my sickness or growing worry for Devan.

"Anna, are you sure you want to go? You're still really pale." Hannah said.

"Yes, Hannah. I'm sure. He's my friend I have to get him."

"Why don't you just let Collins get him?"

"Because, Hannah..." I had to think of a valid reason to give Hannah without letting her know that I like-no, more like love-Devan.

"*gasp* You like Devan... don't ya?" Hannah said, crossing her arms and slowly walking over to me.

"What? No. I'm not letting Collins pick up Devan because... uhhh... Because Collins would get lost too!"

"Ugh. Stop lying Anna. You've liked him since the 6th grade and now that he's your neighbor and friend you can't control your feelings fore him."

"5th grade."

"What?"

"I've liked him since the 5th grade."

"Even better"

*****

Hannah was running down to the dock, pulling me and Collins behind her.

"Where are we go-Ooh! A Starbucks!" Collins said, stopping in the middle of the bike path. A biker was coming and was about to yell at him so I quickly grabbed Collins' wrist and pulled him away.

"But Starbucks!" Collins complained.

"You're hyper enough already." I told him.

"Guys! Hurry up the boat is here!" Hannah called.

We ran and ran, which didn't do much good for my head, so once we got onto the line and joined Hannah I collapsed into her arms and leaned on her the rest of the way.

Once we were on the ferry, Collins got a call from Devan.

"Devan's FaceTiming guys, say hi!" Collins pressed the green pick up button and smiled at the camera.

"Guys?" Devan asked. "Where are you?"

"We're on the ferry." Collins said. He then made the grand choice of taking the phone and putting it right up to my face. I stared at myself in the tiny box in the corner and saw how UGLY I looked.

Like honestly, Collins couldn't have chosen a worse time to expose me to my crush.

"You suck, Collins." I buried my face into Hannah's shoulder.

"Owowowowowowowow" Hannah said, shoving me off.

"OW! YOU SUCK EVEN MORE!"

Collins quickly hung up and looked outside. "Guys, we're here. And I think I see Devan."

Hannah and I turned to look outside.

"You mean the guy frantically waving his arms back and forth and jumping up and down?" I asked.

"No. The guy next to him." Collins said.

We all got off the boat and ran towards Devan. I quickly threw my arms around him and we pulled each other into a hug. Once we let go, I looked up at him and said, "Devan, I was worried sick about you."

"Why?" he asked.

"Well, one I'm sick, and two, I lo-"

I turned over to look at Collins and Hannah, and I see them signaling for me to say the "L word".

I really want to, but I don't know if Devan feels the same way.

I don't want to be heartbroken again.

"Because I care about you. And you're my friend." I let go of his arms and smile at him. "Come on, lets get home."

(Devan's POV)

"Why?" I asked.

"Well, one I'm sick, and two, I lo-"

Was she about to say it? Was Collins right? Does she really have feelings for me?

"Because I care about you. And you're my friend."

At this moment, I feel heartbroken.

We don't say anything all the ride home. Annabelle and I don't say anything to each other, not a word. The only time we looked at each other was when we first sat down. I could see sadness in her eyes, and I didn't know if it was because she was upset about rejecting me, or because of something else.
Whatever it is, I feel closer to giving up on her.

(Collins POV)
SHE BLEW IT!! She had ONE chance, and she ruined it!!
I don't even know what to do anymore. I invest my whole life into them.
Ok, maybe like two weeks into them, but still.
They had a chance to be together, I really know it.
But I guess that's all going downhill now.

(Hannah's POV)
Annabelle's really stupid.
As her best friend, I have the right to say that.
She should've told him how she really feels. I can see that he feels the same way.

(Annabelle's POV)
I regret everything. I had a chance to tell Devan that I love him but I didn't.
I know I said that I wasn't ready, but life is all about taking chances.
But I really didn't want to be left broken again.
A few years ago, I fell in love with a boy named Kevin. I told him I loved him, and he said he did too. He ended up cheating on me multiple times.
He said he was sorry and wouldn't do it again, and I believed him. One day I told him again that I loved him, and he yelled at me saying that he hated my guts and was only with me to make his ex girlfriend jealous.
It was never easy for me to find love. I feel like no matter how hard I try there will always be someone prettier than me.
But maybe Devan really does have feelings for me?
I'll never know.
Because I messed up.