5: Queens Baby

Today was the Queens part of our tour. I feel I was the most excited, but that was probably because I was born and raised here.

I decided to take them on the subway, like a REAL New Yorker.

But, I made the mistake of taking the 7 train, and everyone knows the 7 train is the worst place to be (besides Main Street and northern boulevard but I'm getting ahead of myself).

"Ugh, it's so crowded here." Devan said, crossing his arms.

"Welcome to New York."

"Devan," Collins said. "You're probably gonna want to hold onto something."

"Fine." Devan grabbed a tissue from out of his pocket, and held onto the pole with the tissue as a shield.

"That's one way to do it." I said, laughing. "I once had a friend who didn't normally take the subway, and then on a summer camp trip they took us on the subway."

"And what happened?" Devan asked, leaning forward with curiosity in his eyes.

"She didn't want to grab onto the pole, just like you. So, she pulled out an extra shirt that she had in her bag to hold onto the pole."

"Wow." Collins said, looking out the window. "What stop are we getting off at?"

"Main Street."

"And what stop are we at now?" Devan asked.

"Junction Boulevard. Only two more stops. And at Mets-Willets Point, you can see CitiField."

"Meh. I'm not much of a baseball person." Devan said, looking out the window.  "But baseball stadiums are cool."

                             *****
We had just gotten a ride from my best friend Hannah to Flushing Meadows Corona Park. Our plan was to show the brothers the Unisphere... and climb it.

Collins' plan was to get me and Devan together... somehow.

"Ok, there's MANY things to do here." Hannah said, once we got out of the parking lot.

"Hit me." Collins said.

"There's a zoo, beautiful trails, a mini amusement park, a museum-"

"Wait," said Devan cutting her off. "Did you say there was a mini amusement park?"

"Yes?"

"We're going there first." Devan said, pulling us all in the wrong direction.

                              *****
We had gotten off the dragon roller coaster for the 5th time and we're getting ready for our 6th, but then Hannah and I remembered what we were really here for.

"Devan, we have a surprise for you guys!" She said, pulling him off the line.

"Is it that zoo you were telling me about?"

"We can do all that stuff later," I reassured him.

"Look who's the child now." Collins said, lightly punching Devan in the arm.
We walked for a bit and then finally, we saw the tip of the globe in the distance.

"Ooh! Ooh! There it is!" Collins said, pointing to the globe.

"Yeup." Hannah said, laughing.

We walked-er, ran-over to the Unisphere, but then stopped at the base. We had a slight problem.

"The sprinklers are on?" Collins said, disapointed.