ii.one

╔⏤⏤⏤⏤╝♀╚⏤⏤⏤⏤╗
[ i . two years and two months ]

 two years and two months ]

╚⏤⏤⏤⏤╗╔⏤⏤⏤⏤╝

ROGUE'S RETURN to the Maze was celebrated by the final two Carriers. Miyoko had presented her with a brand-new, no-holes pair of running shoes, a request she had made through the Box. Peculiarly, the shoes had arrived in Rogue's exact size, despite Miyoko forgetting to specify. Rogue didn't think much of it, though; after ceaseless hours in the Maze, Rogue's feet still ached the same.  

It had been a little over two weeks since Serena's encounter with the Crawler, and she had not yet moved from the Ward. The recovery process was slow, but Rogue checked on her daily. The watercolour mix of blues and purples still splattered Serena's skin, and her eyelids were often too heavy to keep open. The trashing, however, had stopped, replaced by an almost complete silence. Occasionally, Serena would mumble something, too quiet for anyone to pick up, but it confirmed that she wasn't entirely mute. She was getting better, Rogue told herself, and soon she'd be back in the Maze.

Sonya, on the other hand, had retired from her position as Carrier to 'focus on the Glen'. Rogue missed her most days. Within the confines of the stone walls, Sonya made it feel less like a chore and more of a journey. Now, her free time was spent in the Gardens with Alejandra, though she was often too busy reassuring Harriet to do much else. 

That day in particular, Rogue had woken to the sound of Harriet's nervous pacing, up and down the Lodge. It was the new Blondie, Harriet's first. Hours of the morning were spent of Harriet readying herself; what she'd say, how she'd say it. It was sweet until it became so numbingly repetitive that Rogue waited outside the Gates fifteen minutes before their opening to get away.

Rogue flicked out her watch as she ran. 5:20. By that time, the new arrival would be agreeable, she assumed. 'We're nearly there,' Rogue called back to Miyoko. Her heels were sore from running, and her chest pounded for the open air of the Glen. She was reluctant to admit to herself that chopping had put her out of practice.

'Good,' Miyoko panted from behind. 'I wanna see the Newbie.'
'Really?' Rogue asked, surprised. She had never paid much attention to the new arrivals past the first few batches. Aside from Wally, she rarely crossed paths with them. Most were sorted as Cloggers or Crofters fairly quickly after their trial. None were fit for the Maze.

They arrived at the last turn, and the Glen appeared at the end of the Maze. Rogue felt her shoulders drop and her run slow. Between the Gates stood Harriet, hands placed firmly against her hips. She waved as soon as she saw them, and Rogue waved in return. It was endearing, the way Harriet always waited by the Gates when it came to the last hour. No matter what, she'd stand and watch.

Their feet hit the grass, and Rogue dug her heels in to stop herself. Leaning down, she rested her hands on her knees and began to cough up the excess wind that had caught in her throat. Harriet smacked her back. 'Good run?' she asked. Rogue didn't answer. Her breath caught in her lungs. Eventually, she stood, squinting against the sunset.