Chapter Sixteen

"Good Lord, Gabby! Don't do that!" Sophie orders as she slowly pulls her arm back from where she smacked Troy in her fright.

"Yes, please don't do that again," groans Troy as he rubs his chest.

"Don't be a baby," Sophie chuckles before turning back to Gabriella.

"So you guys decided to sign up for something?" Gabriella giggles.

"Uh, no. Sophie wanted to watch the auditions," Troy claims. Sophie gives him a pointed look out of the corner of her eye.

"Yes, the words he speaks are true. I wanted to come down here and watch the auditions, so I dragged him through the entire school and came through the back entrance of the auditorium instead of walking through the front door," Sophie declares as she discreetly elbows Troy once again. She determinedly ignored his whispers about her being 'abusive today.'

"Uh...okay," starts a confused Gabriella, "So why are you guys sitting in the back of the auditorium in a dark corner?"

"Oh, we don't want anyone to ask us why we're here," Sophie starts before adding, "Because, you know, we didn't really want to talk to anyone and have to explain ourselves."

Their conversation is interrupted when Ms. Darbus boots the girl who was overwhelmed with stage fright off of the stage.

"Ms. Darbus is a little...harsh," Troy begins hesitantly.

"The Wildcat superstar's afraid?" Gabriella questions, remembering the way people around the school talk about Troy. Almost like he's their savior or something.

"No! No, I'm not afraid, I'm just-" Troy cuts himself off, not knowing what to say.

"He's just scared, but then again, anyone in their right mind is afraid of Ms. Darbus," Sophie mumbles as the next person starts.

"Yeah, I can see that," Gabriella confesses as she looks at Ms. Darbus who was currently dismissing another kid off the stage.

"And for the lead roles of Arnold and Minnie we only have one couple signed up," Ms. Darbus announces. The trio sink lower in their chairs as Ms. Darbus looks up and continues, "Sharpay and Ryan. I think it might be useful for you to give us a sense of why we gather in this hallowed hall." Sophie scoffs as Sharpay gets up and stops Ryan so she can walk to the stage first.

Troy and Gabriella sit in shocked amusement as the curtains close and Sharpay and Ryan stick their hands out and begin snapping. Sophie, used to the theatrics of it all, just sits back and waits for the crazy that was yet to come. And come it did.