Chapter 5

“What changed that?” Heath wasn’t looking at me.

        I wanted to say that it was because he was being a jerk and that he never should have led me on if he wasn’t going to pull through. I decided not to.

        I shrugged. He should know by now.

        “Look, I didn’t….” he began, “I didn’t know what came over me. She came out to where I was, upset as could be from you guys’ fight and I went to comfort her. She kissed me and I froze, I mean, what was I supposed to do?" He flinched, "Wait, don’t answer that. You came out and I just lost it. I couldn’t bare to see you so hurt, so I left you two there, together. My mistake.." he trailed.

        For those who don’t know, that was his form of an apology. I wasn’t ready to fully trust him again, but this was a start.

“Well, we’ve got to get to The Burns by mid-day, so let’s hitch a ride”, and that folks, was my form of accepting his apology.

We trumped though ditches and slinked around boulders toward the fork in the road.

We wanted to be as unseen as possible. My potential to lead gave me great direction perception. We went west and played hitch-hiker for the most part.

“So where are you guys headed?” the scruffy truck driver asked.

My good looks always got us rides when it was a stubborn guy. My stunning green eyes and long, dark brown hair always got ‘em. Heath always said that, along with my flawless skin and slender body, my rare, dazzling smile sealed the deal.

“Um, west. Near Caddy.” I gave a slight smile, barely showing teeth.

Heath was taken back by the affect I had on this guy. My slight smile almost made him faint, while driving. I knew I had to be careful or he could get attached, which would be very bad.

He had golden brown eyes and olive skin, close to mine, although darker. His gray beard matched his less gray hair, he looked about fifty. I had a feeling that he was capable of being dangerous but, so was I.

“Caddy, eh? Well, that’s convenient. I have to make a stop there myself.” His crooked smile made me wince. Something was definitely strange about this guy.