Ch. Nine

It was cold. It was very cold.

When the surface dissolved, you began to plummet. You expected a harsh connection with the ground, but instead, were met with an embrace.

You were disoriented. The world seemed too bright. It felt too easy to breathe. Your ribs no longer protruded from your body or shuttered with your breaths. You felt like you could take on the world again.

Then your vision came back into focus. You looked over at the person holding you to see a gorgeous woman with white hair and dark skin. The markings on her cheeks reminded you of the Astrophengia during daylight hours.

"Shiro, come to the cryo-room immediately." The voice that spoke most definitely did not come from this woman. Then it registered.

"Shiro?" you whispered. "Shiro!" You tried to yell loud enough that he could hear you, no matter how far away he might have been. As a matter of fact, where was he? You needed him. You needed to see him okay. "Shiro!"

"Calm down, please," the woman soothed. "Everything is alright, I assure you. My name is Princess Allura of Altea. You are?"

"I am (y/n)," you hurry, flailing your arms. "Please, where am I? Is Shiro okay?"

"I can assure you that everyone here is safe. This is the Castle of Lions, the home of the Paladins of Voltron."

"Voltron," you fade off, having been told the legends of the giant space lions, but always assumed they were just that: mere myth.

The hydrolic door to the cryo-room slid open, and a tall figure ran in. Shiro bolted to you, scooping you into his arms.

"I'm so glad you're safe."

"You're real? This isn't a simulation?" You whisper under your breath. Fingers from both parties curled into one another's hair. Those on your spare hand traced the entirety of his form.

"I'm here. You're okay now. You're safe." The two of you rocked back and forth on the floor. The intoxicating smell Shiro gave off made you feel safe. You couldn't help the tears that left your eyes. You pulled back to look at him. He was okay. A thumb glided across his cheek in affection. Your faces inched closer together.

You pressed your lips against his, startling everyone in the room, including yourself.

Shiro was at a loss for words. This was the most amazing feeling he had ever experienced. His lips buzzed at the soft, gentle contact, pulling him impossibly closer. Everything in this moment felt right, so of course someone had to ruin it.

"Woah, what's goin' on in here?"  Called a boy in blue jeans and a sweatshirt. His tone held amusement, but the amusement masked the confusion and mild flabergastedness that surged through his body.

"Not now, Lance," the man from before, the 'not princess', said.  "They're having a moment." His gloved fingers pulled at the edge of his mustache.

You and Shiro had pulled apart by now, leaving the warmth and electricity behind.

"I'm sorry," you breathed short breaths, "I don't know what came over me."

"Don't apologize." Shiro pulled you into another tight embrace, setting his head atop yours. "I'm so glad you're here," he whispered, holding you ever-so-gently in his muscular arms.

"So," the boy from before interrupted, "are you going to introduce us or... what?" His hands were tucked lazily into his jeans pockets, and his posture was relaxed. He didn't seem at all threatened by the stranger in the castle.

"Right," Shiro chuckled, turning back to face you. "Let's introduce you to the rest of the team."