An eventful first day

Your POV

I was awakened by Evangeline. "None of the children have woken up yet but I thought you might want breakfast" she said sweetly. "Thank you" I said as I stood up. Evangeline lead me into the kitchen. "This is cook" Evangeline introduced. "The children aren't allowed in here, I've got it in writting" she shouted. "Oh, this is Y/N. She's new. She's staying here because she has nowhere else to go. She's very polite" Evangeline explained. "Could I help in any way?" I asked. "Oh" cook said, clearly taken back. "You can put plates out for everyone" she said. I carefully took them off the table and walked to the dinning room. I set a place at each place on the table then walked back into the kitchen. "Here" cook said, handing me some food. "Thank you" I said. Cook seemed surprised but told me to sit at the table and eat. Naturally I didn't need to be told twice. I ate my breakfast quickly until I heard footsteps. I looked up to see 6 children, one of them carrying a baby. "Who are you?" One of them asked rudely. "Y/N" you managed to say. "And what are you doing here?" Asked another. Luckily, at that moment, Mr Brown entered the room. "Children, this is Y/N. She will be staying with us. Be nice to her" he said sternly as he took his own toast. "But why is she here?" Someone else asked. "I ran away from my family" I said. "Why?" A boy asked. He didn't seem rude like the others, more conserned. Caring even. He had sandy blond hair and was the tallest. "I ran away from my step mother. She would hit he" I said as I looked at him. "Oh" he said suddenly. "I'm Simon" he said. Then pointed at all of his siblings and told me their names. I smiled at them as they all sat down and begun to eat. Simon sat next to me. "There's a Nanny coming today" he said. "We like to play a game: how long till we can get rid of her" he explained. "Are you asking me to join in?" I asked. "Oh no, it wasn't optional. You will join." He said and smirked at me. "It's fun" he said.

Then a large woman in a blue dress and white apron walked through the door. "Come on children" she bellowed. "Let the games begin?" I asked. "Let the games begin" he confirmed.

By lunch time we were made to go outside for some fresh air. We all ran outside and began to skip and play games. "Come on Y/N, skip with us!" Lily shouted. I stood up to join them. When I was tired out I sat down next to Simon. "You're staying in my bed, aren't you?" He asked. "If that's alright. I wouldn't mind the sofa if you don't want me to." I said. "No, it's fine" he said. "How did you know?" I asked, unless someone had told him when I wasn't there. "Oh" he froze. "Well, I might have walked downstairs last night to get a drink. And you were asleep. Evangeline told me." He said careful to not sound weird. "Oh okay" I responded. Before we could talk further, the Nanny arrived around the corner shouting for us to come back inside.

When we arrived inside Eric turned to Simon and me "I've got a plan." Everyone crowded around us. "We pretend to eat Aggy." He said. "Brilliant" Simon exclaimed. "but we need chicken". "Leave that to me" I said tapping his shoulder. "What do you mean?" Simon asked. "I'm allowed in the kitchen" I stated. "Really?!" Everyone asked. "Yes, now I'll go ask." I said as I ran down the stairs.

"Cook" I called sweetly. "Yes?" She said. "Can we have chicken legs please?" I asked. "Yes, can I get you anything else?" She asked. "Biscuits?" I asked. She handed me 3. "Thank you" I said as she smiled at me. She wasn't that bad. I don't know why the others don't like her.

Simon's POV

Of course I wanted to know why Y/N ran away from home but I hadn't had time to ask yet. I looked up from our plan to see her stood in the doorway. She handed me a biscuit. "Thanks" I said as I continued to work.

When the chicken legs arrived, we set the scene. As the door creaked open, she saw the scene. And she legged it. Screaming all the way. Y/N laughed and planted her forehead on my shoulder. I could feel my heart beating but I convinced myself it was from the joke. Her laugh was beautiful. "I haven't laughed this hard in years" she said. We all continued to eat. We were only interrupted as father walked through the door. "Children, where is Aggy?" He asked. Me and Y/N looked at each other. Then a noise came from the pot on the table. We all looked as father walked towards it. When he pulled her out we all giggled. "Oh, look at you, you're all cabbage-y and gravy-y" he said. "As no doubt was your intention, Nanny Whenstone has resigned from her post. I shall go to the agency this afternoon and hire a new Nanny and you will not drive her away like you have with all the others." He said sternly.