Chapter 22

STEPHANIES POV

"Stephanie Grace Monroe, I am so in love with you it's crazy."

His words keep playing in my mind. He said he loved me. Carter, he said it. We've known each other about 2 months not even and he says he loves me. The crazy thing is, I believe him. The look in his eyes and he stared at me showed me he truly meant it.

What did I say you may be wondering?

Well I just looked at him. I couldn't say anything; I had no idea what to say. I know I said I loved him when I was talking to my sister but I can't be sure now for some reason. I want to say it but I can't.

"Say something. Please." His voice brings me out if my thoughts. I look at him and he has a look of a boy who can't find his lost puppy.

"I- I don't know what to say." I feel so ashamed that I can't say anything.

The look on his face shows so much hurt. After everything I said to him, after telling him I needed to know what we were, after all that and he tells me what he feels and I say nothing. I am a horrible person.

He backs away from me. I can't help but feel so terrible but I know I have a right to. I'm probably hurting him so much right now. I know all he needs is someone to love him, someone to be there for him and I want to be but I'm so shocked that he said what he did that I don't know what to say.

"Carter" I didn't realize I was crying till I spoke.

I take a step to him and I'm happy he doesn't move away again. The only problem is, he isn't looking at me. I try to meet his eyes but he looks away. I still have tears running down my face.

"Carter please look at me." I put both my hands on his face and bring him to look at me. When he does I can tell he is very upset, he looks as if he may cry.

I try to find my words the best I can so I don't ruin everything.

"It's not that I don't feel the same way. I don't know what to feel at the moment. You shocked me with what you said and I don't know what to say back. I know you expect me to say the same but I can't right now. I really like you, I care for you so much but I don't know if I can find the strength to say those words at the moment." I'm still crying but it has died down. I still keep my hands on his face and after I finish speaking he just looks at me like he is searching for something.

He slowly brings his hands up to cover mind. I don't know what to do, I feel as though we are both so lost at the moment.

"I don't take back what I said. I've wanted to say it since the day at the cliff. I won't take it back; this doesn't change how I feel. But like you said before, I need to know how you feel too." His eyes never leave mine. I know he is right, he's not the only one having trouble expression their feelings.