SLuMBeR PaRTY

•*•••*•••*•

THE FOLLOWING WEEK WAS BACK TO normal. Marinette somehow knew that her friendship with Adrien was only a matter of borrowed time, like that of a ticking bomb. He was too focused on building his career, and she had sticky register buttons to push. The thought didn't sodden her mood, in fact, she went about her days like nothing had ever conspired.

She had already permitted Harold to take her out on a solid three dates, each more enjoyable than the previous. Their first one had her confused as to why she ever had the audacity to say yes in the first place. He proved that he was just the pompous jerk she thought he was all along. Through a serious heart to heart in his parked vehicle, he pleaded her for another chance. She posed no counterargument, soon pleasantly delighted in his demeanor toward her.

Maybe her resolve started to shrivel once she danced for Adrien. It just seemed easier to make challenging choices, all without much thought behind them.

"Marinette? When you're done with that last order, take your break, you deserve it," her manager voiced from the kitchen. An extra break? That was odd.

Shrugging her shoulders, the girl complied. As she walked toward the break room, she removed the required cap with the restaurant logo stamped to it from her head, yanking her ponytail out too. Marinette shook her dark hair, trying to remove the prominent kink that was surely left behind.

Finally stepping into the room, she flung the hat to the table, moving to unlock her locker and pull her phone and a cup of red jello out. Not so shockingly, there were no notifications. Pulling out a chair that squeaked a squabbling song reminiscent of her middle school days, Marinette plopped ungracefully into the seat.

"If I said I want your body now, would you hold it against me?"

Without missing a beat, Marinette stuck her spoon into the swishing jello, gathering a sizable bite onto the plastic utensil. She took careful time examining the portion, squinting her blue eyes and everything. "Not right now, Britney Spears, I'm hungry."

There was a shriek from the chair next to her being pulled against the deteriorating floor. "Don't you have a shoot to get to?" she snickered, poison dripping from her saccharine lips. "I don't own a gun, Mari," he gently reminded.

She sighed, not wanting to add fuel to the previously heated fire. To showcase how much she didn't want to fight, Marinette scooped more jello onto her spoon, and held it out to Adrien. He made eye contact with her, a twinge of sadness enveloping his green eyes. Without using his hands, he leaned in closer, mouth wrapping around the spoon.

His lips fought an oncoming smile, finding mirth through the silly, albeit childish gesture. Marinette was nothing but grateful, wary, but still grateful. After all, he did manage to snag her an extra half hour to sit around and relax. That, she could not complain about.

"I'm sorry, I was a total douchebag who got too caught up in the moment."

Roleplaying as the devil's advocate, she smirked evilly. "Caught up how?"

Adrien was not prepared for the question, his cheeks pinking considerably. She returned to her jiggly treat, finding solace there as her friend collected scattered words to respond. "It was unexpected, to say the least. I guess I had a hard time letting you go after you... danced for me."

She snorted. "You were jealous. Just admit it."

"Yes. I was not happy that you had to leave and-"