Blondies and Big Things

Author's Note: holy crap i haven't updated. shame on me. feel free to leave comments about how horrible i am. i deserve it. anywhooo, i enjoyed writing this, hope you enjoy reading it! more soon i promise

lovelovelove ~ sydney

    *****ESTHER'S P.O.V.*****

Ugh. I look so horrible.

This is the first time I get a good look at myself since I've woken up in my bed. I have huge bags under my eyes, hollow cheekbones, and red spots and scratches on my chin and forehead.

I also seem to have lost a lot of weight, because my old favorite Victoria's Secret sweatpants were sagging and my Disney World t-shirt was not very form-fitting like it had been before. I have been in here in the hospital bathroom for about ten minutes, trying everything to look like a decent human being. Whatever.

"Esther, you alright in there?" Leo politely knocks on the door.

"Uhh, yeahh. Just a second!"

I finally just decide to forget about it. I sulk out of the restroom and see Leo pacing the length of the room.

"You alright?" I ask him worriedly.

He seems to jump a bit when he realizes I have come back into the room. "Oh! Sorry, yeah I'm fine." he replies without meeting my eyes. 

"Okay then. Well, this place gives me the creeps. Can we go?" I can't stand to stay another minute in the drab, 1920's themed hospital room.

"Hahaha, of course. I am at your beck and call." He smirks

*Insert butterflies in stomach* 

Wait, what? Why do I have butterflies? It's a foreign but welcome feeling at the same time. 

With that, he opens the door leading to the hallway and gestures for me to go first. As soon as both feet were at the door, I was greeted rather awkwardly by a gorgeous blonde with brown eyes beaming into my soul. Behind her were two boys about the same age as Leo and the blonde before me. The boys seem relieved to see me, while the girl looked as if she wanted me to be anywhere but there.

"Hi Esther, I'm Dylan. This is Mateo," He waves towards the tall, Hispanic looking teen. "and this, is Olivia. Say hi, Olivia." 

"Hi." Olivia says through a perfect, pearly white smile.

"Esther, these are my friends. They're your friends too." Leo says soothingly. I want to believe him,  but I can't help but feel a cold wave of bitterness radiating towards me from Olivia's heart. She gives me the creeps, as well.

I get creeps easily.

"Well, I gotta get our patient back home as soon as possible." Leo says through a sort of uneasy, forced smile. He seems to want to get away just as much as I do.

"Actually, I think I might've left a few things back in the room," I turn to Leo and give him a begging glare. He seems to get the message.

"Oh, okay. I'll go check you out. You guys can go wherever you want, I gotta take care of her." He says towards Dylan, Mateo, and Olivia.

I turn back and grip the doorknob knowing good and well I didn't leave anything. I just want to get away from the strangers. Well, strangers to me at least.

*****LEO'S P.O.V.*****

I can tell that Esther wants to be alone for a few more moments. Once she is behind the closed door, I begin to walk away from the group. I was hoping they wouldn't be there, I knew it would overwhelm Esther.

"Wait! Leo, hold on!" Dylan calls from behind me.

"What is it, Dylan?!" I say bitterly. As you can see, I'm still caught up in the fact that my first love doesn't remember me. "Sorry, man. Just kinda in shock."

"I understand, we all are. But anyway, where are you gonna take Esther?" He says with a trace of worry in his voice.

"Home..? Where else would I take her?" What is wrong with him? 

"If Esther doesn't remember us, then she doesn't remember why she stays with you and your family instead of hers..."

"What are you talking about, man?"

"Esther doesn't live with her family anymore because of what happened almost five months ago. Remember? The "big thing"? Lifechanging thing? What brought Esther into our lives?"

It all clicks. Esther lost memory of more than just what happened between us. She doesn't remember what split her family apart and brought her into the life she has today. The "big thing".

I don't wanna tell her about the "big thing."