Fifty-Eight - May 5, 2018

Luke

"I'm worried about her, Brooke. I've never seen her like that. What the hell could've happened?" I asked, pacing around in front of our cars in the parking lot.

Brooke shook her head slowly, her black hair swishing from side to side. "I don't know... the only time I've seen her that upset was after James..."

"I guess we should leave her alone until she's ready to talk... right?" I asked, looking to Brooke for answers. This was a social situation I'd never dealt with before.

"Right. She needs time to process – whatever it was that happened. She'll come to us when she's ready." Brooke reached out and put her hand on my cheek. "Let's go get something to eat. Okay?"

I nodded. "Fine." But I wasn't hungry. I was worried.

Ten minutes later, we were in a booth at Whataburger. We had ordered burgers and cheese fries to share, but neither of us ate much. We just picked at our food and stared at our phones, waiting for any word from Rachel or Miles.

Beep.

I snatched my phone from the table and read the message, holding the phone so Brooke could see too.

Hey Luke, where are you?

At Whataburger on Back Beach Rd. Where are you?

Coming that way. Don't move.

All right.

I looked up at Brooke. "They're coming here."

"Oh God," she said, tossing back her Dr. Pepper like it was a shot of liquor.

I had to laugh.

***

The bell on the door dinged as Rachel and Miles came through, Miles stopping at the counter and Rachel making her way to us, looking absolutely exhausted.

She slid into the booth next to me and smiled weakly. "He's getting me a milkshake," she said, gesturing toward Miles.

"Well, you deserve one after all that crying," I said, putting my arm on the back of the seat and shifting so I was facing her.

She fidgeted uncomfortably and refused to meet my eyes.

Miles walked up then, sitting next to Brooke and pushing the milkshake in Rachel's direction. She picked it up gratefully and immediately began to sip. We sat in silence for a few minutes until Brooke couldn't take it anymore.

"Will someone please say something!?" she blurted, making Miles jump out of his skin next to her.

"Damnit, Brooke..." he said, taking his baseball cap off and running his hand through his hair. I idly noticed that he hadn't even taken the time to change out of his uniform.

"Did you tell my mom and dad where I was?" Rachel asked.

I nodded. "I told them and my parents that we were going out to celebrate. They didn't ask any questions."

"Good. I don't want them to worry," Rachel said, continuing to sip on her milkshake.

Brooke clicked her tongue. "Well, I was more wanting some clarification regarding Rachel's meltdown at the field."

Rachel glared at her. "Shut up, Brooke."

Brooke reached over and took her hand. "I'm sorry, Rach. I was just kidding... you know... trying to lighten this incredibly heavy and awkward lunch we're having here."