Chapter 26

Chapter 26

          At about five in the morning, I was woken up yet again to do a breathing treatment. It was much easier to breathe now, and the doctor confirmed that there was no infection or swelling.

          They told me that later I would do one last treatment, and then they would send me home, which I was relieved to hear.

          I didn’t feel like sleeping anymore, but Gianluca told me that I had to. He looked really tired, and I wondered if he had slept at all, or if he had stayed up to watch over me all night.

          So I rested against Gianluca, but was too restless for sleep. So he took To Kill A Mockingbird from the chair next to the bed, deciding to read to me. I snuggled up to him, laying my hand on his chest, and tucking my head under his chin.

          As he read, I looked up at him, watching his lips move as he spoke, admiring his handsome features, and listening to his handsome Italian accent.

          I somehow managed to fall asleep again, and when I woke, Gianluca was dozing, his head leaning on mine. I stayed completely still to let him rest.

          Eventually a nurse came in, and Gianluca opened his eyes and smiled at me. I gave him a good-morning kiss, and then willingly slid on the mask to receive the final treatment.

          My mother came in during the treatment, and after I finished I changed into the clothes she had brought, and we drove home.

          I was so glad to be back in Gianluca’s home, and he definitely was too.

          “Naomi,” my mother said. “I’m sorry, but today you cannot go out at all. Stay here and rest all day, and tomorrow you can go out again. I’ll bring you your medicines when it’s time, okay?”

          I nodded, but still longed to go out.

          “Gianluca? Will you stay with Naomi and watch her, make sure she doesn’t leave?”

          He nodded, and then took my hand and we went upstairs.

          He looked tired, and he moved more slowly than normal.

          He went to his room to change, and I went to the guest bedroom and sat on the bed to wait for him. He came in wearing a T-shirt and jeans, carrying his laptop.

          “I want you to rest and watch a movie, okay?”

          “Okay, Gianluca, if you say so.”

          “What do you want to watch?”

          “I want to watch the Il Volo PBS concert.”

          He looked surprised.

          “Really?”

          “Yes!”

          He set up the laptop on the edge of the bed and went off to find the C.D.

          He slid it in the laptop and got me a blanket, sitting on the edge of the bed.

          I lay down on top of the covers, with the blanket over my legs to please him, though he was really the tired one.

          As I watched the concert, he leaned against the headboard and began to doze, and he eventually adjusted himself without opening his eyes to lie next to me.