Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven (The helpful Killer?)

I actually asked him to help me? Why did I do that? Ugh! It's true that what happened to Anna occupied most of my brain but to actually ask the one who killed her is really insane. This is really stupid. But the most stupid one was this guy.

I ask him to bring me to the morgue to see Anna's remains, and here we are. Standing in front of the door where Anna's lifeless body is waiting.

Someone touch my shoulder lightly. "You said that you wanted to see Anna Mcfield who was killed the other night. But we've been standing here for an hour already." He sigh. "Do you still want to go or not?"

"Huh!" I got really irritated. "Easier for you to say to go inside and see her body! I can't even imagine how horrible the damage she received and by thinking that, I can't breathe nor take my first step to see her."

Yes! It is easy for you to say, because you can even kill like it was nothing. But no matter what, you will never be able to kill me, that's why I can keep you by my side. For me to be able to watch your every step. I want to prevent you from doing it again. I will not allow you to kill anyone, not ever again.

"Is she your lover?" He asked insensitively.

"Huh?!"

"What?!"

"She's a friend of mine, a close friend!"

"I see, but you acted like she was you lover. So I thought." He paused for a moment. "But still." He looked sad for who knows what the reason is.

I gathered all my strength and took my first step, opened the door, and there, I saw a body in the middle of the room, the whole room is producing a foul smell but I care less about it, the body is covered by a white cloth.

Every step I take is so heavy that I need to muster up all my energy to do so. And in every step, it feels like my heart is being slice up once again. This feelings, I thought, I'm already used it, I thought the wounds from 5 years ago is completely healed. But seeing someone close to me die, seeing their lifeless body in front of me, I feel suffocated and helpless. Once again, life showed how powerless I am, I didn't change from 5 years back. I still couldn't protect them.

I slowly pulled the cloth down, her face, seeing her face, my body automatically trembled on its own, my knees became weak and I fell on my feet.

Her face shows how much suffering she endured and die after she no longer has the energy to resist. Also, her head... Thinking about her body state, I brawled.

"If only I did something back then. If only, I'm strong enough! If only I acted! If only I extend my hand and help her!"

"The record states that she received 28 fatal wound stabs, it also states that she was tortured even before that, the sole of her feet was cut off, her fingernails were torn off, her tongue was cut off, even one of her eyes was gauge as well. Some of~"

"STOP!!!" I couldn't listen, I can't stop crying. How cruel! How much suffering did she experience before she was killed? I.... I can't breathe. My eyes became blur, I can't see a thing.

I slowly opened my eyes.

"You're awake?!" He seemed relieved.

Looking closely, he really did fit the description of Jack the reaper in the police office, but what makes me curious is that, why the police didn't even pay attention to him and didn't arrest him even when we're around?

"What happened?" I asked, my voice is hoarse, I tried to stand but I almost fell, but he caught me and made me lean on him. His hands are warm, his touch is so gentle, and his voice is so caring. Why, someone like him?

Then a thought entered my mind. Is he really the one who killed her? If so, then why did he have that expression on his face? Before I lost consciousness, I saw him, his expression shows grief and helplessness. I know, because.... I have the same expression. I can see myself from him 5 years ago, even now, when I need to do something to change things, but I couldn't because I'm weak.

"When did the authorities found her body?" I asked with resolve. I will catch the real culprit. That's what entered my mind after saying those words. I don't know, but after staying with him for a couple of hours, it gives me a feeling that I'm looking in the wrong way, he is not the one I'm looking for.

"They said that her body was found in the cemetery, the keeper of the cemetery found her early this morning while doing his duty."

"Cemetery? This morning?" That's strange. "Then, how long is she dead before being found?"

"Approximately. 48 hours."

"EH?!" That's not accurate.

"What?"

"If I calculate it correctly, the other day, I still saw her. Around 12 in the midnight. And if she was found early this morning, it should be around 30 hours."

"How? There shouldn't be any mistake in the records. How would it be possible?"

"No, I think it is possible." I remembered a method to make a body to decompose faster. "If we put a piece of meat in the cold place like refrigerator, then what would happen to the meat?"

"The bacteria will stop spreading and or should I say, the bacteria wouldn't reproduce so the meat will not decompose even after a day."

"That's right, but what would happen if we do the complete opposite of it?"

"You mean putting the meat in a hot place?"

"Yes, putting a dead body into a hot place would make the bacteria livelier and it will spread fast, by doing that, it can fake the time of death of a person."

'You're saying that the killer did that to confuse the police?"

"No, not just that. But for him to have a perfect alibi. If he let the body decompose faster, then the authority will assume that the time of death is 48 hours and so he can get witnesses that by that time he is with someone, doing something. So the authority will exclude him from the suspect list."

"And he can get away from the crime he committed. But how are we going to know the real suspect?"

"If we can get all the evidences that the police gathered, we will know where to start."

"Do you mean this?" He pulled out a folder that he hid in his cloak. I'm quite surprise on how efficient this man works. But I'm happy.

"Shall we start?" I asked with the little confidence left in me, I tried smiling.

"You don't have to force yourself to smile."

And so we left to look for clues using the evidences found. But wait. Didn't Khael said that Jack the reaper never left any evidences on the crime scene? If so, then what are these evidences that we have? I'm getting more confuse than ever.