Why Me?

I fell asleep with ease, I mean yesterday was the best day of my life. Still “that guy” made me feel warm, and wanted for once in my life. Made me forget about all my troubles, fixed everything. I felt electricity filling the air around us. Wait what does this mean?

            I’m making some eggs and bacon for Carter and me, setting up the table and putting them on the plate. Then a light little knock on the door happened. No one ever comes to our house, who is this?

            Out of worry I grab my old softball bat and set it next to the door and open it. I sigh in relief when I see it’s just the police man. Then I get nervous again. ‘Wait, why am I happy? Nothing ever is good with a police man.’ I think to myself as he invited himself in, I quickly shut the door.

            “Is your dad here? We would like to speak with all of you.” He says as another man walks into the house, but he wasn’t in a uniform, not a police suit, just regular clothes, was that a detective?

            “Yeah, I’ll get him!” Carter quickly suggested, knowing that me and him don’t get along well. I looking at the police man, and what seems to be a detective, still not sure. It’s just plain awkwardness when I wait for my dad to come. Thankfully it’s interrupted by my little brother “here he is.” We all take a seat in the open chairs, there isn’t enough chairs because we only had enough for our family. So I was standing, like usual, I was thought of last.

            The old raspy voice started talking, and I mean a lot, I blurred out everything he said, but one part stood out, when they started talking about my mom. “So we have come to a conclusion that your mom did not kill herself, now we may be wrong but there is evidence supporting that she was harmed and beat up.” My body freezes up, my mind going back to the nightmare I had, was that a sign? I feel like my mom was talking to me. “So we have no choice but to bring, Mr. Woods into questioning.” Nothing else is said, they just pull my dad up from his seat, hand cuff him and lead him into the car. I tried to protest but I just got shunned off.

            Why do they think my dad would even have the heart to do this? Yes he is abusive, but only to me, he loves our mom, every bit and piece. I would be lying if I said that I didn’t want him to go, but I don’t really mind him going.

            I see Carter filling up with tears, so I start to comfort him and give him a hug, ever sense mom’s sui- accident, I guess now. We have become closer, I’ve like this so far.

            A few hours later.

            So I’ve decided to work triple my shifts, to help pay for Carters food, I’ll help him get to the bus stop, cook him food, do all the work as if I was a single mom.

            “Carter, I’m going to work, you can come as well, I’ll make you some food maybe” He smiles really happy, I’ve never invited him anywhere, other than when he was younger.

            We reach the bakery, and I start my usual day, still wondering what is happening at the police station.

(Mr. Woods POV)

            My body is aching, what do they know? What don’t they know? All I know is I make sure they don’t get any information on me, I saw nothing.

            “So, Mr. Woods”

            I quickly interrupted him, “please, call me John.”

            “Okay… so, John, we hear that you never really have gotten along with your wife, now have you?” There are two people, one asking questions, other taking notes. I feel so violetaded.

            “Now why on earth would you think that? I loved my wife and if I didn’t why would I marry her then.”

            “You could have married her for all the money.”

            “Why money exactly? She had none.”

            “Understood, okay so, did you ever have any reasoning for wanting to harm Rachel for any reasoning?” He is watching my every move, his eyes won’t come off of me.

            “No- uh, I”I start to think about how I would harm Emily, should I lie? Or tell the truth so I don’t get into more trouble? “Well, no I’m not the kind to hurt anyone.”

            “So what was your reaction to your wife’s death?” He says with blood strut eyes, beaming onto my body, making me tens up.

            “Well, uh… I didn’t know how to react, I never would of thought she would kill herself, her family loved her.”

            After talking a lot about that he brings back up her death scene. “So, where were you when she committed suicide?”

            “I was umm…” I try to think of something to bring up on the spot “okay so I was in the li- bedroom, I was a sleep, till I hear the gun shot."

            I know that they are jotting down on that stupid piece of paper that I stuttered a bit, thank god they never asked me why I did though.

            “Final question” Thank you, never thought I’d hear those words it’s been 45 minutes here I believe. “Have you ever harmed anyone in your family, mom, dad, son, daughter, and wife?”

            I can’t speak the lie out, I just now am noticing that this was a problem, crap. I just shake my head disagreeing. The jot down the fact that I can’t talk about that, it was obvious.

            “No more further questions, we got all that we needed” He says standing up walking out the room. Another police man comes to take me to a cell, where I stand with three other cell buddies!

(Emily’s POV)

            I get a call on my cell phone, I pick up the phone and answer. “Hello?”

            Not even enough time was between my hello and the familiar raspy voice speaking into the other end of the line. “Hi, yes Emily? We would like you to come to the police station….

________________________________________________________________________________

a/n: I'm gonna leave it at that. I posted 5 chapters in one day, that's good right? At least to get it started. I mean I wanted to leave the first chapter to a cliff hanger, then I thought people wouldn't read something with one chapter. So here you go, this is the cliff hanger I'll leave for a while (: I post often so please stay and read the rest!

Btw sorry if you are mad that I'm bringing her dad into this, but this is just the start, it's building up Emily's past, which is what makes her and Straub's relationship grow