ten

Thank you for your kind words. 

********

The chemotherapy took a toll on Rose, there were days that were better and days that wore her out were greater in numbers. There were days that her family wanted her to spend the day or the night in the hospital, but she didn't want that even if she was too frail, her youngest would then carry her to the car and she'd wake up on bed at home. It was harder than she anticipated, physically and emotionally. 

Today was the last day of her first round of chemo. Today was a good day, maybe the news of taking a break from chemo helped her. Rob and Lia, spent the last two weeks with her and just took a flight out back to Manila. She was looking forward to some peaceful time at home and maybe some television and cooking with Virgie. Her Husband, Ricardo has never left her side. 

"Bubba! You don't have to carry me. I feel better today."

"Sigurado ka, Mommy? Nagbench press pa naman ako kanina." Richard replies to his mother and showing his biceps.

"Hay naku, bubba. Gusto mo lang ata ipakita yung muscles mo e!"

Richard laughs.

"Mommy, sure ka? Sige, holding hands na lang tayo"

"Hijo, dito ka sa kabila. Your dad would want to hold my other hand, too. Where's Dei pala?"

"Sinabi ko na, hahanapin niyo si Dei. She took an uber back to the apartment, she said she was going to help Yaya Virgie with the cleaning and laundry."

Rose nodded. The ride home was swift and uneventful. Richard insisted that his parents sit at the back. 

"Surprise!" was what Rose heard when she opened the apartment door.

Her Children, Her Parents, Virgie, Sam and Jerald were all there holding balloons. There was also quite a spread on the table. All her favorites.

"Rob, Lia, hindi ba kayo maiiwan ng flight niyo?" Rose asked her children

The two smiled. Lia hugged her mother and replied, "Mommy, nag-extend kami ni Rob for a week. We knew na break niyo from chemo - so we decided to spend time with you."

"Who's..."

"Mommy, Nico and Dei's other siblings are helping out. They were even the ones who encouraged us to extend kasi nalaman nila na you're taking a short break from chemo. They send their love and regards. Video call daw po kayo when you're feeling well." Rob replied to his mother and gave her a hug.

There were a lot of laughs, stories exchanged and crying. Rose suddenly found herself looking at the people. She didn't think she needed this but she did. It felt good.

"Auntie, a dollar for your thoughts" Sam said

"Samuel, hindi ba a penny for your thoughts?"

"Auntie, I'm sure with all your wisdom, mahal ang thoughts mo pero one dollar lang ang afford ko for now"

Rose laughed which caught everyone's attention. 

"See, Rob, Lia, RJ and Dei, ako talaga ang favorite na anak ni Auntie ay Mommy Rose."

"Samuel, anong ikaw, ako kaya! At mas gwapo kaya ako sa iyo! Mana ako kay Daddy" Jerald interjected and looked at Ricardo Faulkerson, who nodded in acknowledgement.

Everyone burst into laughter.

********

"Love, your idea was a success! Mukhang nag-enjoy si Mommy."

"I'm glad to see her happy. Alam mo these past few weeks during the first round of chemo, I was getting worried, she wasn't herself." Dei replied

"I was worried, too."

"Kumusta na pala yung rayuma ni Yaya Virgie, were you able to ask her? Hindi ko siya natanong kanina."

"She said na okay na daw, the medication that we got her worked, it helps daw lalo na ngayon na malamig na."

Dei nodded and moved to cuddle Richard. They were in their pyjamas and were preparing to sleep. 

Richard started kissing Dei, engulfing her whole body with his.

"Love, strawberry season ngayon."

"I know."

Dei's eyes became wide as saucers. "How did you...?"

Richard smirked. "Last week you were eating Cheetos Jalapeños and Ghirardelli chocolates alternately. And you were complaining of body pains and soreness here" 

He pointed to her chest. Dei covered her chest with her arms and looked to the other side.

"Nagtatampo ka, love? I'll make it up to you." Richard said while unbuttoning her sleepwear. 

They were getting into the rhythm when they heard knocks on their door.

"Who's there?" RJ asked

They heard, "I'm Sam", "I'm Jerald" "And we are, the best Faulkerson siblings!"

 The two can be heard laughing from behind the door. 

A very annoyed Richard opens the door.