sixteen

Today has finally arrived.

We had planned to meet someone in Houston to hand Ross off, and we were finally here.

The four of us sit in the back of the truck while we wait in an empty parking lot. It's drizzling lightly, so the sliding door is only up partway to keep out most of the rain.

"Where is he?" Adam asks Ross impatiently. Ross shrugs without a word. He's been in an espiecially quiet mood since yesterday.

Suddenly an old beat up car skids into the parking lot. It drives towards us and stops in behind the truck.

Ross stands suddenly and lifts the sliding door.

A guy gets out of the car. He stands up and pulls the hood of his sweatshirt over his dark hair to cover it from the rain.

"Ross!" He laughs, seeing his old friend.

"Trypp," Ross nods, looking a lot less ecstatic, just more serious. "How are you?"

"Doing well. I'd ask you the same, but I don't think you'd be asking for my help if you were doing well."

"You're right," Ross agrees. Trypp walks towards the truck.

"Well, is this a get-together or a hand-off?" He asks. Ross drops his bag on the ledge of the ramp and Trypp takes it happily.

He turns to look at me.

"You," He starts. God, here we go again.

"I need to talk to you." He tells me. I fold my arms over my chest.

"And why should I care?"

"Because I'm leaving. I'll be out of your hair soon enough, just give me five minutes." He points out. I sigh.

"Five minutes," I agree.

"Not a second more," He promises and steps out of the truck.

He walks towards the front and I follow him begrudgingly until he stops and turns around.

He doesn't say anything for a moment, just sort of staring at me with a blank expression.

The light rain is starting to dampen his hair. He doesn't seem to care about getting wet.

"Well?" I ask. He shakes his head and looks down.

"I'm sorry," He murmurs, then looks back at me. "I'm so sorry."

"What-?"

"I'm sorry. For everything. For hurting you the way I did, for putting you through that."

"Why are you telling me this now?" I ask in a cautious tone. There was always a method to the madness, wasn't there?

"Because you deserve an apology. Because you had to suffer as a consequence of my actions. It wasn't fair."

"Damn straight." I mutter.

He sighs and continues, "I just.. wanted to make amends before I go." I shake my head.

"It's gonna take more than a couple 'I'm sorry's' to make it ok," I tell him bluntly. He nods.

"I understand." He reaches into his pocket and takes out a small, thin piece of metal. He hands it to me.

My phone battery.

"Figured you'd want it back." He shrugs. I slip it in my pocket to keep it safe from the rain.

"Thank you," I manage to say. I don't want to blow up at him now. 

"Just... stay safe, okay? I'll try to call you soon, to check on you, catch up-"

"You don't have to," I assure him. 

"Yeah, but I care about you-"

"No," I shake my head again. "Don't. You understand, right? There's no way we can pick back up where we left off. I need time. I didn't even get time to process you being alive. I can't just move on that easily. I need some space."

He runs his fingers through his wet hair to push it away from his eyes. "Alright, fine. But promise me you won't go looking for trouble." 

"I won't. I've had enough antics," I reply with a scornful laugh. 

He nods, then gently holds his hand under my chin and presses his lips to my forehead. I close my eyes, forgetting my anger for a moment. Somehow, beneath my fury, there is a part of me still longing for his touch. He lingers there for a moment, before finally taking a step back. 

"I love you." He speaks softly, as if it's a tiny secret exclusive to our hearts, "And I won't stop loving you anytime soon." He finishes.

He walks past me towards the back of the truck again. I don't move for a moment. 

I find something comforting in his claim, like there's something calming to know he loves me. 

I compose myself and join the others again. 

Ross is getting in Trypp's car already. Adam has his arm draped across Aria's shoulders while they watch them leave. I cross my arms self-consciously when I see the two of them. 

Ross shuts the door of the car and the car pulls away from us. 

I watch as they drive towards the exit. 

I can almost swear I see Ross turn his head for a second to look back at us.