Chapter Nine: Running Scared

Becca's POV

   Getting dressed only proved to be a bigger problem, I kept tripping over things like, the carpet, and the rug, and well you get the picture. Luke's recent actions had me so uncoordinated, I didn't know which way was up or down. One thing was for certain, the only way Annie would be able to see past our little white lie was if Luke slipped up. Anyone could take one look at me and see I was a lovestruck mess.

  I slipped into my khaki capri's and my vee neck navy colored tee, I chose a pair of navy and white checkered Sperry's to complete the outfit. I dried my hair, and decided to wear it up to show off mine and Annie's matching tatoo's.

  I felt the anticipation of getting to see my best friend rising up in my chest, but it was quickly squelched when I remembered Alex saying we could only see her through glass. How was that fair? But her health was all that was important, I couldn't wait for Annie to be her healthy, happy self again.

  I didn't bother putting any makeup on, I mean what was the point? It wasn't like I was looking for a love interest, and the one I was interested in was only pretending to be interested in me. I sighed looking at my reflection in the mirror. How had we gotten to this point? How had I let Luke talk me, us into deceiving everyone? And at what cost?

  If Annie did find out, along with everyone else that we worked with, we would have a lot of explaining to do. The person in the mirror just blinked back at me, she didn't give me anymore insight than what I already knew, how could she when she was me? I groaned, at least I had a little bit of a tan going on to cover up how horrible I was feeling at the moment.

  I got up, and slowly made my way down the stairs. I heard Alex, and Luke speaking in a heated tone. " I think you two have known for a long time that you were right for each other." Came Alex's soft, soothing voice. I heard Luke grunt in reply, and could only imagine what he was really thinking.

  " I don't know man, I mean seeing Olivia today brought back those memories that I've tried for almost a year to bury. You don't think we're rushing into things?'' I heard Alex sigh, as I waited near the doorway to hear his reply. Okay I know it's wrong to eavesdrop, but it's also wrong to talk about others when they're not present to defend themselves.

  " I think when it's your soul mate... you just know." There was a pause. " Take me and your sister for example. I wasn't looking for Annie when I found her, but when I walked into her hospital room that first night... I just knew." He said simply, from where I stood I could see Luke's face.

  He looked confused, but nodded and ran a hand through his dark hair. He raised his wine glass a took a sip, Alex was tossing the salad. " Speaking of Becca, wonder what's taking her so long?" He gave Luke a pointed look, he snapped his head in Alex's direction and whatever heavy thoughts he'd been having left him.

  " Oh yeah, let me go check." He rose slowly, so I did the only thing I knew to do. I rushed back towards the stairs, pretending to have just come down them when he appeared. " Well finally, we thought we would starve waiting on you.'' He said, with a forced smile.

  His eyes held some unreadable emotions, that if I hadn't of just heard what he and Alex were discussing I would have mistaken for sadness. But I knew the truth, he was thinking the same things I had been earlier. Was it really worth the risk he and I were taking?

  " Sorry, I just couldn't seem to get it together." I said airily, and stalked past him into the dining area. Alex had already set the table, and was now bringing in the food. He had made a fresh garden salad, lobsters, steak, baked potatoes, and of course the only thing better than a homemade apple pie in the south some sweet iced tea.