Chapter Three: A Midnight Swim

I couldn’t sleep.

I tossed and turned for at least an hour. Finally I sat up, knowing what I needed to do to fall asleep.

This happened more often than expected. If I didn't swim, I couldn’t sleep. I was so use to sleeping feeling relaxed after a swim, that a lot of the times if I didn't I couldn’t sleep.

I quietly slipped out of the house in my bathing suit. It was just passed midnight when I dove into the pool. I swam on my back, looking up at the stars. They were fairly visible tonight. I liked it was I was able to swim and stare up at the stars. I dunked my head under the water and continued to swim around. The silence was comforting. I didn't have my mother nagging me to do ten more laps, or to get out of the water. It was just me and the night.

“Mind if I join you?” I practically jumped out of the water. I turned to see Blake. My heart started pounding. Sometime between this morning and now, I had fallen for Blake Thomas again. Just like in the old days, when he was just my childhood friend.

“Sure,” I said, trying to be casual. He jumped in. we didn't say much, we just swam around. Occasionally I’d kick his leg or something, but besides that, it was like he wasn’t even there.

Swimming was something I could do all day. If my mother didn't call me out of the pool, sometimes I wouldn’t get out for hours. I loved the feeling of the water on my skin, my hair breezing under it, and how it was almost like floating.

I don’t know how long we’d been swimming before I got out of the water. I wrapped my towel around myself. It was my favourite. It was a stripped one that was extra long and extra soft. I shivered. For a night in June, it was fairly cold out.

Blake pulled himself out of the pool and grabbed his towel. He shook his wet hair like a dog and walked closer to me. Though he was a posh boy now, I could still see the slight details of his boyish ways.

 I took a good look at Blake; trying to picture him as the same boy he was all those years ago. I couldn’t. Blake wasn’t a boy anymore. He was a fully grown adult. He was starting his life after this summer. This was my last chance to see him as the friends we have always been.

He was really close. I could feel his breath on my face. It smelled like spearmint. He had an obsession with it, from when he was nine. Something’s about people don’t change.

“You’re different Ellie” he said.

“How?” I asked, but I knew the answer. I was completely different. Everything about me has changed since he left. And mainly because he left. I had to find a hobby, a passion to carry out through the long days where I was going to be alone. And I chose swimming.

“In every way” he told me. I could feel his breath on my face.

“Prove it” I said, trying to be smooth. Apparently, it worked. He pulled me in and kissed me. I dropped my towel and wrapped my arms around his neck. His lips were warm. It wasn’t a passionate kiss, and it wasn’t long either. It was sweet and simple. I’d never been kissed before tonight. I thought I was a freak because of it, but now, I feel weird after sharing my first kiss with Blake.

He stopped kissing me “if you hadn’t changed, you wouldn’t have let me do that”

I smiled, biting my lip. Did that really just happen? Blake kissed me. I finally got that kiss I wanted since I was little. This night was magical.

“Night Ellie” he said, walking through the gate.

I walked back to my room changed into my pajamas, and curled up in my bed. After everything that had happened today, I had no idea how I was going to sleep. But soon, a wave of exhaustion brushed over me, and I fell asleep.