09. CHANGES

chapter nine ; changes1976

1976

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I GOT STUCK TAKING YOU TO THE PLATFORM THIS YEAR," EDWARD THATCHER-GROVER GROANED IRRITABLY AS HE SHUT THE DOOR TO HIS CAR. He circled around the automobile and watched as his younger sister struggled to lift her trunk out of the boot. She squeaked as she nearly tumbled back and Edward stepped forward, taking the weight off her easily. A soft smile replaced the frown on his face when he caught sight of her grateful expression, and he piled it onto the luggage trolley beside them.

"It's not my fault Mum was working today," the sixteen year old Tempest shrugged, yawning as she slung her bag onto her back. She was exhausted, seeing as she had forgotten to finish the Transfiguration homework she had been set before summer, and when she saw it on her dresser, she ended up not sleeping until five that morning, only to be woken up an hour later by her manic mother.

"You know she has to get the extra hours in to pay for all your new textbooks," Edward patted her back as they turned and began walking towards Kings Cross Station, both of them wishing they'd gotten more sleep. "And now, with Dad gone-"

"Don't talk about him," Tempest interrupted instantly as she adjusted her tote bag, and Edward pursed his lips, knowing how touchy she was on the subject. "This is supposed to be a happy day, Ed. It's bad enough I have to go back to school with a different name on the roll, and I don't need reminding of it."

"Sorry, I forgot," Edward muttered as they entered the large, brightly lit train station. The pair of siblings walked in silence as they trudged towards the entrance to the platform, neither knowing what to say. They used to be close, but since the messy divorce between their parents, they too had been torn apart. Tempest was always being pushed aside more than ever now that the household she lived in had grown more hectic, but she didn't know what she could do about it. With her muggle mother working full-time all summer, she managed to pick up a part-time job at the local café to earn a bit more money and to stay out of the way.

"Onyx!"

Tempest sighed in relief at the energetic voice of James Potter caught her attention, taking her mind off the intense brooding she had been doing all holidays. He was accompanied by Sirius, who appeared happy to see her as well. It hardly bothered her that James was calling her Onyx; the group had come up with the nickname shortly after they had become Animagi. Hers happened to be the most obscure, the name referring to the gemstone with dark colours that matched her Bombay fur. Remus was particularly fond of it, noting that it was a 'powerful warrior stone' and rids fear from those who possess it. 

That made her feel quite special, she had to admit. Especially since the others decided to name themselves Mooney, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs. 

"I'm assuming you don't need me to stay?" Edward chuckled softly as he watched his little sister's face light up for the first time since the divorce. He nudged her a little with his elbow, adjusting his hold on the luggage trolley. "Go ahead, Tempest. I've got your bags."