Chapter Nine - Betrayal of a Sibling

"Who?" everyone asked together in unison after Tam trailed off. "Wait! I'm collecting my thoughts!" Tam snapped, quite annoyed. 

           The Council was taken back by Tam's attitude, but Tam's friends were used to it by now. 

          "I think...Councillor Bronte's sister is..." Tam whispered. "Who?" everyone questioned simultaneously again. 

          "Wait!" Tam said in a shrill voice, "I want to make sure that my guess is pretty accurate!" The Council stood there impatiently. Finally, after a long silence, Emery spoke up, "Mr. Song-" 

          "Call me Tam! I don't want to be called by my family's name!" Tam corrected. "Okay, Mr. Tam," Terik continued, quite flustered by such improper formalities, "What is your theory?" 

          "I think Bronte's sister may be Vespera," Tam finished. Biana gasped and supported Tam's prediction by saying, "That actually may be true. She did go to Lumenaria and was arrested for other crimes like building the original Nightfall for human experimentation!" 

          "But Vespera died during the last battle! Well, we thought...No one really knows her current status! What if Bronte's sister is still in Lumenaria? What if Vespera's dead?" Fitz pointed out. 

          "But it's still a possibility whether we like it or not," Keefe wrapped up the conversation. "If only Sophie was here to help," Linh sighed. 

          "She would've told us to keep on going," Dex said, determined to find her.

          "Um, guys is Bronte alright?" Biana tapped Fitz on the shoulder, glancing at Bronte. He was turning quite pale and was pacing the room. His mouth was wide open, still processing the news. 

          "Vespera...killed...Aapeli...my brother...Vespera's my..." Bronte trailed off, not able to finish his thoughts. "Vespera's your sister," Alden supplied, resting his hand on Bronte's shoulder. 

          "Well, we don't know yet for sure," Emery told him, "So best not to worry about that now. Right now, we have to focus on Miss Foster's funeral."

          "But...we have a feeling she's not dead!" Dex gasped. "Can you support this claim?" Terik asked, sadly. "They can't. But there is a way to find out," Oralie said shakily. 

     ........................................................................................................................ 

          Sophie awoke to the quiet voices looming over her. "What's happening?" she asked, groggily. 

          "None of your business. You're still our prisoner," Ruy said absentmindedly, continuing to talk to a mysterious female figure in the shadows. 

          "Well, well, Sophie Foster. You seem to have a visitor," Brant smiled ferociously. The female figure stepped out into the light and faced Sophie with a sinister look. 

          "Nice to meet you again!" Vespera said, wickedly. "Vespera? We thought you were dead!" Sophie exclaimed, shocked. 

          "Well, you were wrong, and I'm back," Vespera told her, smirking the entire time. 

          "How is that possible? You don't have a secret twin, do you?" Sophie inquired, suspiciously. 

          "I don't. Why do you ask?" Vespera questioned with calculating eyes. 

          "Never mind," Sophie mumbled and looked away, "What are you doing here?" 

          Ruy, Brant, and Vespera glanced at each other and burst out laughing.