The Jolly Roger

Peter knew that everything had its consequences. Being someone who had done things that were certain to lead to them, he wasn't surprised when they came back for him. However, he was surprised when an old adversary of his returned to Neverland, especially after he hadn't expected his arrival for at least a few more centuries.

The Jolly Roger's mast appeared on the horizon at dawn the next morning as the Lost Boys were out on the beach fishing for that night's lunch and dinner.

The sun was shining warmly, it's bright rays bouncing off the waves, causing patterns of light to be reflected onto the ocean floor. Every now and then, a cool breeze would blow by, ruffling the boys' hair. There were plenty of fishes in the water, and this area of the beach had been declared off limits to any other creature that could pose a threat by Peter, so there were no mermaids or sirens around. The boys were free to play, and play they did.

The Lost Boys had split off into small groups of three or four. They had all left their cloaks and clothes on the rocks nearby, leaving behind the heavy materials. Some of them were chasing each other, more were shoving each other into the water and very few were actually fishing. They were all laughing and full of energy.

For once, Peter didn't mind that they weren't doing what they were supposed to. The weather had gotten him into a good mood, but there was something missing. He had recognized the feeling the second that they had stepped onto the beach, but he didn't know what it was exactly that made him feel incomplete. So instead, he ignored the feeling as he laid down on the beach, a pair of dark green sunglasses over his eyes, his hands behind his head.

He hadn't noticed that there was a ship nearing the island until it had crossed onto the border that Peter had marked at the beginning of the creation of Neverland. Peter felt a tingle run down his spine, the same way he always did whenever someone stepped onto the island or within the piece of the sea that he had cordoned off.

He shot up the second he felt it and looked around. The boys hadn't noticed anything out of the ordinary. They were still laughing and running around like without a care. Then Peter diverted his gaze towards the sea and the tingle grew stronger. He spotted the ship and squinted at the silhouette riding the waves towards Neverland, lowering his sunglasses.

He was alarmed until he saw the black pirate flag atop the mast. Then he rolled his eyes as he relaxed again. He shut his eyes and returned his sunglasses to their former position. He then laid back onto the sand once more, silently waiting for the sounds that would indicate that his boys had noticed the ship.

A few minutes later, laughter sounded from a twelve-year-old boy named Nick Dunes. It was soon joined by more chuckling and snickering. A smirk grew on Peter's face. "What's the commotion, boys?" He asked loudly, knowing full well what was going on.

"Hook's decided to come visit us, Pan," Felix replied, turning to his leader and wearing an almost identical smirk to the one Peter had.

"On today of all days as well," Peter groaned. "It's a beautiful day and he just had to come and ruin it. I didn't expect him to come back for the next millennium or so."

"Where's the crocodile?" Ben Daley asked excitedly, his boyish face lit up with excitement. "I want to see it bite off his other hand!"

Shouts of anticipation followed Ben's words. The boys were all riled up and even more energized than before. Peter chuckled.

"Don't worry boys, I'll call crocodile." Cheers emitted from the Lost Boys. Peter grinned. "In the meantime, go occupy yourselves until the pirates get here," Peter ordered.

"Yes, Pan!" The boys all shouted together before resuming their activities, looking up every now and then at the ship that was slowly growing bigger as it sailed closer. Peter grinned. The sense of incompleteness had disappeared. He was ready to have some fun.