The Test

A rumbling that seemed to come from underneath the ground sounded, it shook the small stone chamber that the group was in. Debris and dust rained down like hail from the ceiling once more as the ground shook violently.

Peter yelled over the sound, "Steady, boys!"

"We are steady!" Nick shouted.

Tyler laughed nervously, "No we are not!"

As if to prove the boy's point, the ground opened up beneath him. Tyler only had time for his head to snap up and stare at Peter in horror before disappearing into the unnaturally shaped hole.

"TYLER!" The other half of the Craw twins shouted as he lunged at his brother, hoping to save him. Unfortunately, the ground did the same thing to Dillan, and he vanished into darkness as well.

"What the - " Peter turned to the direction of his right-hand man's voice, only to see the end of Felix's cloak get swallowed by ground too.

"Use your magic!" Reacher shrieked at Peter. "Make it stop!"

"I can't!" Peter roared, his hands shaking. They were clenched into fists, his knuckles white. His eyes were still green, but now so was the outline of his body. "Something's keeping me from using it!"

In the blink of an eye, the rest of the Lost Boys were gone within seconds. Reacher had tried to keep to the stone wall, hoping that the floor, which seemed to be alive, wouldn't sense him. To his despair, his efforts were in vain as he let out a wail before falling into the dark unknown.

It wasn't long before only Peter and Hook remained. They stood back t back, alert and ready for a fight. All of a sudden, the rumbling stopped and all was still. Peter and Hook waited for a few seconds before stepping away from each other.

"What the bloody hell was that?" Hook growled, still gripping the handle of his cutlass tightly.

Peter shook his head, perplexed. "Damned if I know, but I'm certain the boys aren't dead. Neither is Reacher, in case you care."

"I don't really, but that's nice to know." Hook muttered. "Why do you think they're alive? The ground swallowed 'em."

"The Dea must have sent them off somewhere. I doubt it would kill casually like that, especially if the victims are all practically children."

"You think the Dea has a conscience?" Hook snorted. "What are you imagining – Mother Mary? For all we know, it looks like a great ruddy dragon that's been sleeping for the past millennium."

"I'm just saying it seems needless to kill that many and if I was the Dea, I would want to know how these people found me and what they want."

Hook grunted. "You make a fair point. So - "

A blue orb light appeared in front of the two, the sight cutting Hook off. Peter gulped as he saw the shade of blue he recognized all too well.

The orb hung in the air for a few seconds before shooting upwards and exploding like fireworks. Instinctively, Hook and Peter both covered their heads with their hands, but no sparks showed down. Blue light that seemed to come from nowhere filled the chamber.

Then, smoky tendrils the same shade of blue emerged from the ground, stretching upwards. Slowly, they morphed into the silhouette of a person. The figure was tall, almost as tall as Hook. Chills ran down Peter's spine as green fire formed in his hands. Cold sweat was running down the side of Hook's face as the pirate readied his cutlass.