The Truth

Destruction.

Utter destruction.

Smoke was rising from the boiling ground. He could feel the heat radiating off the dead soil even though he was hovering a few inches above it. There were large patches of fire, consuming trees and grass, leaving behind a trail of grey ash. The sky was dark, miserable. Peter felt the same, looking about.

He felt a hand gently wrap around his, pulling him out of his thoughts. He turned to see her, but at the same time, he felt as if he was looking at someone else.

"Dea?" He asked. The sound of his voice made him wince – it was raspy, as if he hadn't had water in days.

"I'm here," She reassured him, given his hand a squeeze.

"Where are we?" He looked around once more, to make sure that what he was seeing was real.

"You said that you didn't want Neverland to be harmed by the fight. I respected that, but all that damage had to go somewhere." The Dea shrugged. "I found a world in another universe. It's as far away from Neverland as possible."

"Did you and the Hag do this?" Peter asked. "How long did it take for this to..."

Peter didn't know what he was going to finish his sentence with, but thankfully, the Dea understood. "I was holding back – she wasn't. If I hadn't been, I wouldn't have been able to bring you here."

"What? Why?" Peter frowned.
"There wouldn't have been anything left,"

Peter looked at her, his eyes wide. The Dea sighed. "Peter, there's something you have to understand."

"I'm listening."

"The two of us; we don't represent anythng."

"I...don't know if I get what you mean,"

"You are not a good person Peter," The Dea said, which took Peter off guard completely. "And inside the back of your head, you have labeled yourself as evil, as bad, as one of the stains on the earth. You relish feeling bad, feeling evil, feeling like you're a horrible person. But you're not, and neither is the Hag.

"She is not evil and I am not good. We are both capable of doing both horrible and incredible things. We do not belong to the 'light' or the 'dark'. She does not crave destruction, she craves revenge. Destruction is the byproduct. I am simply doing all I can to make sure that it is as minimal as possible."

"Revenge?" Peter stared at her. "What did you do to her?"

"She tried to kill me, boy," A voice hissed, making Peter jump. "That's what she did."

His head turned towards the front and saw a cloud of red smoke. "What do you mean?"

The cloud of smoke materialized into the Hag, who was now a few paces away from Peter and the Dea. "Do you know how your lover got as powerful as she is now, boy?"

Peter watched as the Dea's lips formed a thin line, but she did not object, and so the Hag continued.

"A long time ago, the two of us were partners. We destroyed worlds and collected souls to build our magic. We hunted since the beginning of time, working our way up from defenseless worms to deities with the power to rip apart the fabric of space. We were feared, we were sisters. Tell her the rest, won't you?" The Hag snarled.

The Dea kept her eyes on the Hag as she spoke. "She wanted to destroy this world, Peter – your world. Neverland, as you named it, contained a mass amount of power, as did you yourself. I didn't let her, so she tried to do it under my nose."