Chapter 17

"Hey, it's time." Dinah says softly as she holds her hand out to Lauren.

Lauren stared at herself in the mirror, brushing her dress down with her hands to get rid of the dog hairs.

"Your mom is going to meet us there with the kids." The older girl says softly, reaching out to grab Lauren's hand.

Lauren snapped her head up to look at Dinah.

"Come on." Dinah says softly, pulling Lauren into her arms just as the younger girl breaks down.

Lauren gripped Dinah's shirt, sobbing into her chest.

"I've got you." The brown eyed girl whispers, rubbing Lauren's back.

Lauren cried and cried and cried until she could no longer cry. Her eyes were dry from lack of tears and she still felt numb.

"Come on sweetie, we have to go now." Dinah whispers softly, kissing Lauren's forehead.

Lauren could only nod. Her voice had been useless for the last few days. She cried herself to sleep every night and there were nights when she didn't sleep at all.

It wasn't long before they were at the funeral home.

"Mama!" Annie sobs out, running up to Lauren.

Lauren stumbled when the little girl collided with her. She wrapped her arms around Annie and stared blankly at the floor.

"Want mommy," The five year old sobs out.

Jaxson was standing in front of the coffin, staring blankly at Camila.

Lauren ran her fingers through Annie's hair. "I'm sorry." She tried to speak but nothing came out.

"Let's sit down." Dinah says softly, kissing Lauren's forehead.

Lauren nodded. She allowed Dinah to lead her and Annie to their seats.

"Someone should get him." Normani says softly, nodding toward where Jaxson is still standing by the coffin.

Lauren gently pushed Annie into Dinah's arms and stood up. She walked towards Jaxson and gently placed her hand on the boy's shoulder.

Flinching, Jaxson turns and reaches for her.

Lauren lifted him up and carried him over to the seats.

Curling into her, Jaxson remains silent. He had become mute ever since Camila died.

Lauren ran her fingers gently through his hair.

The pastor clears his throat as he steps up and begins to talk. "We are here to relive the memory of Karla Camila Cabello."

Lauren squeezed her eyes closed and took a deep breath.

The pastor continues talking about Camila.

Jaxson releases a sudden scream that shocks everyone.

Jumping, Lauren flinched and looked down at Jaxson.

The five year old burst into tears and pointed at the casket.

Lauren pulled Jaxson into her arms and rocked them until he cried himself to sleep.

Reaching over, Dinah rubs Lauren's shoulder.

The pastor continued his speech.

****

Jaxson sat on the couch, ignoring Dinah who was trying to get him to eat.

Lauren stood in the kitchen alone, staring out of the window blankly.

"You have to eat something, Laur." Clara said softly from the doorway. She held Malory in her arms.