Chapter 13, The Book

Parker parked in front of his house and I got out and ran to my house. "Luna," he yelled. I kept running and didn't look back. I ran through the front door and passed Cooper up to my room. I face plated onto my pillow and screamed. "Luna," Cooper said. I lifted my head up and looked at him. "What do you want," I yelled at him. "I didn't mean to bother you," he said seeming like he wanted to cry. "I'm sorry," I said. "Come here." I sat at the end of my bed and Cooper sat next to me. "Are you OK," he asked. "Yeah, it's just been a rough day," I said. "How is school going." "Fine. I have a lot of friends," he said cheerfully. "That's great," I said. "Anyone special." I nudge him and laughed. "No," he said jumping off the bed and back downstairs. "I was just joking," I yelled after him. 

I was laying in bed just thinking about if mom was still here how my life would be. Would all this stuff that has been happening with Cole still happen if mom was here? Would I have meant Parker, Quinn, or Dakota? "Luna," dad said interrupting me from my thoughts. "Yeah," I said. "Look what I found in one of the boxes in the basement," he said holding up a book. "Do you remember this." "Yeah, is that the book I wrote in for mom when she died," I said. "Yes and I thought you would want it after talking about how you miss mom and all," he said handing me the book. I held it to my chest and dad got the hint to leave. I walked over to my reading spot at the window. I could see that Parker was sitting in his room but he didn't see me. I opened my book and read the first page.

To my mom in heaven. 

I got this book for my 13th birthday a month after you died from cancer. I decided to write every day about my life without you now and I hope somehow you can read this. It was really hard the first day without you. I'm finally a teenager. I wish you could see me as a teenager, but I feel like you are looking down at me and can see me every day and what I go through. 

I love you forever mom. 

I read the book until I got to the end. I only wrote for about a year and a half until the thing with Cole happened. I opened to the first page that was clear and started to write.

Hey mom, it's me, Luna. I know it's been a while, but I need to talk to you really bad. I know this is silly to write all this down, but I have no one else to talk to. If you are looking down at me you probably know what is going on with me. I know you like Cole but if you known what he has done to me you wouldn't anymore. If you met Parker you would like him, too. He is like the boy next door, well he does live next door. He is also scared of his parents like you were when you my age. I have made great friends this year, but it wasn't the best year. I wish you were still here. I miss you.

Love you, Luna

"Luna." "Yeah," I yelled down the stairs. "What," dad yelled back. "Did you call me," I ask. "No," he yelled back. "Luna." I look out my window and Parker was standing at his window. "What," I said opening my window. "Can we talk," he asked. "I don't know," I said. "Please. Can I come over," he asked. "I guess," I said shutting my window. 

"Luna. Are you mad at me?" Parker asked when he got to my room. "No. I'm not mad at you. I'm just confused," I said. "You know you can talk to me, right," he said lifting my legs and sitting under them. "I know, but.., I said trailing off. "But what, Luna. Come on talk to me," He said. "Ok. So you know when I left to go see Cole," I said. "Well. They have decided to have me and Cole spend a month together at the lake house after I graduate," I said. "Is that why you didn't you want to talk to me," he asked. "Yeah. I didn't know what you would say about it," I said. "I'm fine with it as long as you are safe and Cole doesn't try anything again," he said. "Are you sure this is what you want." "I don't know right now,"  I said looking at the floor. "That's fine. Just tell me when you know, ok," he said giving me a kiss on the forehead. 

"What's this," he said grabbing my book. "Oh, I started to write this when my mom died. My dad just found it and I decided to write in it," I said. Parker was about to lean in for a kiss but dad walked in. "Parker should go now," he said. "Dad you're great with timing," I said. Parker kissed me on the forehead and left.