Chapter III

"Has anyone seen Ryuk around lately?"

"Maybe he was serious about losing his Death Note."

"It was probably picked up by some human before he could get to it."

"No way! Then he'd be stuck there 'til the end of that human's life or until the Death Note is destroyed. That could take a while."

"Yeah. I can't picture Ryuk doing something so boring."

"But you know what? I heard he was actually carrying two Death Notes."

"Seriously? Why would he need two?"

"Beats me, I'll never understand that guy."

"Maybe he's fallen in love with one of those humans."

They all started laughing.

"I wouldn't understand why. Humans are so boring."

"Like Ryuk could ever fall in love with someone other than himself."

"A better question; how could a human ever fall for a guy like him?"

Their cries of laughter continued to echo, through the realm's caves and holes and all the way down to the portal of the Human World.

"By the way, Ryuk, what about your apples?" Light asked.

"Apples?" The Shinigami gasped, "That's right, surveillance cameras! Once the apple is in my mouth, no one can see it, but while I'm holding it, it looks like it's floating!"

"I thought so," Light commented, "You told me that Shinigami can't die, so I guess it won't kill you to stop eating apples for a while..."

"AH- Don't you think that's a bit much?! Come on! I never told you this, but apples are to me... what cigarettes and alcohol are to humans. Do you see what I'm saying? I even get withdrawal symptoms."

"Oh yeah? What kind of symptoms?"

"My body gets all twisted, I do handstands, it's not pretty!" Ryuk flew upside down to prove his point.

"I don't need to see that," Light huffed.

"I know," Ryuk groaned, twisting body back to normal from his handstand.

"Okay, here's the thing," Light explained, "Unfortunately I already gave L the hint that Shinigami love apples, so I just can't afford to take the risk..."

"...When did you-"

"If it's so important for you to eat apples, you'll have to find out where all the cameras are hidden. If you're lucky, you might find a blind spot where you can eat them without being seen..."

Ryuk grumbled, "Hyuk! I see what you're trying to do, Light. But it's not going to work on me. You might be able to manipulate others into your little game, but I'm not that foolish! I can always eat apples outside or at your neighbor's house."

Light sighed. He'd hoped his initial plan would've done the trick, but now he'd have to use another route. One that might not work either, but if it did, it would give Light quite a few handles that might be useful in the future.

"And what about (Y/N)?" he decided to ask.

After having visited the store, (Y/N) had parted ways from Light and Ryuk, having to head home herself to continue studying.

"What about her?" Ryuk questioned anxiously.

"Well, with the surveillance cameras in my room, you know she won't be allowed to talk to you anymore. She'll ignore you for... well, who knows how long the investigation on me will last."

Though Ryuk didn't show many emotions, Light knew he had pushed the right buttons. Ryuk knew this too because it had been a long while since a human had last rendered a Shinigami speechless. And it hadn't been Ryuk that time around.

"I want a date with her."

Light kept himself from bursting out in laughter. "What?"

"Isn't that what you humans do? Date? I want you to set up a date for us, once the cameras are gone. It can be in your room, but you'll have to leave," Ryuk said.

Light sighed, "Fine. I'll set up a date with you and (Y/N)."

The Shinigami flew up towards the second level of the house, excitedly announcing, "Yeah! A camera search! Sounds so... interesting..."

To act unsuspicious, the teenager had to do what every other stereotypical male teenager would do; look at pictures of women posing in their underwear. Of course, it didn't affect Light as much. He understood basic sexual cravings, yes, but in reality, he would never bore himself with staring at these pictures. He had better things to do, such as creating his New World. The stash of magazines was just for show, in case of emergency.

Ryuk grumbled a bit at the graphic magazine Light was inspecting. He had quickly figured out that nudity was a thing humans were embarrassed by but also very interested in. He couldn't quite relate, as he'd never felt the need to take off his clothes or see someone else without them.

The humans in the pictures had a lot of round forms, with bulging chests and buttocks and mostly all with the same size, which made Ryuk wonder if they ever borrowed each other's clothes because they would most likely fit them anyway. They all looked the same to him. People who showed off their bodies because society sees it as pretty, while perhaps in a few years beauty standards will change and they'd have to spend so much time and energy to be able to feel even remotely pleased with themselves again.

He couldn't help but wonder what (Y/N) would look like, posing like they do in those pictures. She would top any of these models, he thought to himself. They should put her on the cover, on every cover of every magazine. No, he didn't want that. He wanted no one else to see her like that. He wondered why he would ever look at all the naked ladies in a magazine who all looked the same when he had (Y/N) to look at, when he had (Y/N) to spend time with.

"Ooh- ah, I... have to find the cameras!" Ryuk suddenly realized, snapping out of his daze.

He flew up and peeked his head in the vent. "I found a camera in the air conditioner!"

"Hey, Light! Come on, dinner is ready!" Sayu called from downstairs.

The Shinigami barely noticed Light leave the room. He was too transfixed with his own reflection in the small lens of the second device he discovered. He took a long, good look at himself. Perhaps longer than he's ever looked in his entire life. The excitement, the butterflies, the fuzziness, they all died down as quickly as they had come.

How could a girl like her ever fall for a guy like me?

When Light returned to his room, he silently took a seat at his desk, yet didn't fail to notice the tired and somewhat sad Shinigami sprawled across the sheets on his bed.

"I think that's it, Light. I found every camera they put in the house. I guess Shinigami get tired when they work hard..." the Shinigami panted. "Now let me explain where they all are. It's a little bit complicated, so listen up."