Chapter VIII

It wasn't until she'd said goodbye to Soichiro and stepped through the hospital doors into the night's breeze, did she hear Light speak again. She was standing miraculously placed behind a large bush, where they wouldn't notice her. It seemed the young man waited to see if anyone stepped through the doors before deciding to continue his talk with the God of death hovering in the air behind him.

"Ryuk."

"Hm?"

"I never once felt cursed since I picked up the Death Note. In fact, the thought never even crossed my mind. I'm happier than I've ever been, all thanks to this power. I'm going to create a perfect world."

"Honestly, I could care less whether you feel cursed or happy to have a notebook. I'll leave that sentimental crap to you humans. But... Normally humans who come into contact with a Shinigami have nothing but misfortune."

"That's interesting. But I have no intentions of repeating that pattern."

She only allowed her lungs to release the air they'd been holding long after she could no longer hear his footsteps walking off. And only then did she allow herself to finally feel what she'd felt in the pit of her stomach all this time; fear.

"Are you seeing this?" Lights voice carried over the walkie-talkie, but her attention was directed entirely towards what the TV in front of her was broadcasting. Since phones had become a danger as of late, she'd suggested going for a more old-school approach, if it was only to be able to contact Light when her house was feeling a bit too empty. Which was happening more and more frequently.

She hummed in response.

"Even if you don't agree with me, all I ask is that you not publicise your views in the media. If you can do that, you will be spared. All you have to do now, is be patient. I will create a better world that we can all enjoy. Say goodbye to the world as you know it. Soon, we'll have a new world ruled by benevolence inhabited by kind-hearted, honest people. Try to imagine it; a world where the police and I-"

"Switch channels. Now."

She did as was asked of her, and was faced with the collapsed figure of Ukita, a taskforce member she'd just met only a few days prior. "Light... you didn't-?"

"Of course it's not me, you fool. I wouldn't be so reckless. Now L will think I don't need a name to kill someone. This impersonator is ruining all my plans!"

"Calm down, Light. This might work in our favour. You and I both know L will take all possibilities into consideration, so it could very well be that he's already figured out about this person acting as a second Kira."

"Ryuk-" she heard some muffled noises in the background, "-didn't give another Death Note to anyone, did you?"

"I only had two," she could make out, "and I'm surely not stupid enough to give away my second one."

"Light, please look back at the screen."

"Hm?"

"A vehicle has just driven through the front of the station!"

"Well, that's one way to stop the broadcast."

It took a while, but eventually a police car arrived at the scene. And another, and another, until the whole building was surrounded.

"That's... Soichiro? Light, that's your father!"

"There you have it! The police refused to cooperate with Kira! Instead, they are prepared to fight. And, as much as I fear for my own life while saying so, this is right, and it must be done! Kira has become a very threat to our constitution, and as citizens, we must fight back. I am NHN's Golden News anchor, Kouki Tanakabara."