Chapter VII

It wasn't unusual for her to be early to appointments these days. Her anxiety never really allowed her to be late anymore. But, for what it was worth, L seemed rather happy with the fact. He told her it always gave them more time to go over important information and that it showed him she realized the importance of the case.

"However, it also makes you think I'm Kira, doesn't it?" she wondered.

"Elaborate," he simply replied.

"My eagerness to participate only gives you all the more reason to suspect me. But if I were to be late, you might think I'd do it on purpose to avoid any detection. If I'm always right on time, it'd be too obvious that I've thought about it before. All cases give you a 50-50 chance, really. So, I'd suggest you stop paying attention to the clock every time I walk in, because it doesn't give you any hints whatsoever."

He smiled as he opened another stick of sugar and threw it in his coffee. "You explaining yourself to me tells me you've thought more about it than you should have. Which could also mean that you're Kira. However, elaborating on your ideas about me looking at the clock every time you show up also tells me you're more something of an open book."

"Which brings us right back to stage one. What percentage do you give me to be Kira now?"

"Hm, I'd say about 70."

"Wow, I'm honoured, really. Dropped 5 percent since last time."

"The fact that you remembered that has brought you back to 80."

She smirked. It was the little banter between them that made her less nervous about the elephant in the room that only she knew about; she knew who Kira was, and she couldn't tell a soul.

Though Light had been an utter ass to her since the summer had started, she'd known him since they were just kids. She knew he must have his reasons, however stupid they might be, and she wasn't just going to give up that life-long friendship in a heartbeat just because he was being ridiculous.

She couldn't support Light knowing she'd be a fellow convict of murder herself, but she couldn't stand the thought of him possibly being sent to prison, not to mention the possibility of him receiving death penalty. And where would Ryuk go? He would go back to the Shinigami realm, bored out of his mind and she'd never see him again. It's why she'd decided to let things play out naturally and perhaps make some adjustments here and there on her own, if deemed necessary.

"I'm meeting Light later this afternoon," L told her, "I hope you still don't mind working with him?"

She shifted in her seat a bit. "Why would I mind working with him?"

L blinked. He knew that she knew he wasn't stupid and didn't know why she even bothered to try to cover up the fact they weren't really on speaking terms. She rolled her eyes at his comically silent response, telling him she'd be fine. "It's a serious case. I can act like a professional if he can, too."

"Alright. I was only asking because I can't have you back out of this case. You're too valuable."

"Too valuable?" she winked.

His pale cheeks were dusted in a rosy pink as she slipped her jacket back on. "I'll see you tomorrow, Ryuuzaki. Have fun interrogating Light."

"Thanks."

Her walk home was enjoyed with a cool breeze breaking the sunlight on her skin. She felt a lot better now that she had something that could keep her busy. Though it did involve Light, she was glad she'd be out and about, making a difference instead of sulking in her room. Even if it was keeping the biggest secret anyone's ever had to carry.