Chapter 7

A/N: Remember when I said to run after that last chapter? I suppose you should have. 

If you remember the myths correctly, Vali turns into a wolf and kills Narvi. The entrails of Narvi are then used to bound Loki to a rock, where Sigyn then holds a bowl over Loki to prevent the pain of the poison dripping onto his face. I thought it poetic that we would come full circle with some parts of the myths - that one of the first times Sigyn is mentioned in the myths is one of the last times we see our Sigyn. 

There is still much of this story to be told as we start to finish out the last three chapters - with only more heartbreak and pain to come. If you did not run after the last chapter, heed this as a warning and run, now. 

Still here? I suppose you must be sadistic like me! Here is chapter 7. 

Parents are never supposed to outlive their children. It was something that all seemed to understand that while life and death would happen, a parent should never have to attend the funeral of their child.

Sigyn had sworn she would never wear black again, but she also never thought she would have to attend a funeral for her son.

Three days had passed since Amora's magic had wrecked havoc on the royal family. A bounty had been placed on her head larger than any other that the Nine Realms had ever seen – and yet the King was still restless.

While Sigyn mourned in their chambers, tending to Vali who was still in a state of shock, Loki had taken to stowing away in the throne room, drinking his weight in alcohol.

He had yet to pour over the ancient texts, to numb to process what had happened or even attempt to reverse it. It was futile. Only Vár's words continued to haunt him.

"...Magic always comes at a price, are you prepared for this?"

He had thought he had been. He had thought he would be ready for the price she would take when the time came. The gods were cruel, but they were also just; Loki had been promised but one life but instead given two. Just as when Sigyn and her brother, Sango, had entered the world – everything became out of balance. Recompense, a reminder that not everything he had was promised.

"My King, it is nearly time."

A guard, Meyln, interrupted the King's loathing. He had slightly opened the door at the wishes of the Queen, informing her husband that it was time to lay their dear Narvi to rest.

The Silvertongue had hardly spoken a word and instead of a usual quip to instruct Meyln to leave him be, he nodded and waved his hand over his body. Instantly he transformed from a vagabond into a grieving King. Black adorned the gold and green, his eyes lacking that mischievous glint that many had come to fear.

Entering the hallway he saw Sigyn, her grip tight on Vali's hand while their youngest attempted to stifle his never-ending tears. He wiped his snotty face on the back of his mother's hand as new tears sprung to his eyes at the sight of his father. Offering his arm, Loki said nothing as Sigyn placed her hand in the crook of it and the family of three started down the hallway.

The silence was overwhelming; the hallways empty until the exited the courtyard. In the courtyard, only the crackle of fire indicated that any were nearby. Many of the royal families of other realms and council members had come to pay their respects, as well as dozens of townspeople that had come to love the royal family – despite what suspicions they originally had held.

Near the edge of Asgard, parallel to the Rainbow Bridge sat the waterfall that so many of Asgard's noblest had been sent over. It was at this very waterfall that he had taken Sigyn many years ago, promising to love her and keep her safe.