Chapter 9

A/N: Hi welcome to one of the final chapters of the Pure Illusion Series where the tears are never going to stop! 

So, we are officially ONE chapter away from the end of our story. Chapter 10 and even the Epilogue are completely different than any other part of our story - and you will see why. It was almost...rewarding to write this chapter, use some parallels as one of the last times we see Sigyn is when she is with Thor - just as in book 1. We are left with a haunting message from Loki, almost summarizing the thoughts Thor had when he met Sigyn all those years ago. I'm pleased with how this story is ending, but sad that it is drawing to a close. 

I'm thankful for each and every single one of you - but sappy stuff will just have to wait!! Here is chapter 9 of Denouement Beauty. 

It had been nearly a month since Narvi had come home.

But for Sigyn, it felt as if years had passed. The loss of Loki was felt through the kingdom - specifically by the palace as the silence from the royal chambers seemed to grow louder and louder each day.

Recently, she had taken to hearing her people again; she allowed them to speak their mind in the throne room as they had with Loki as she attempted to solve their problems. She met with the council, met in the war chamber to track the whereabouts of their enemies and their armies. However, the void left by Loki would cause her to crumble at night. The boys would sleep by her side, but only when they were asleep would she let herself come undone and she would cry herself to sleep in the large, empty bed. It was worse this time knowing he was in Hel, dead, and being tortured for all of eternity. Had she not known his demise, she might not have been so uneasy about everything.

"Your Majesty?"

Eméra stirred Sigyn's thoughts, her eyes trained on the Queen. She had been warry recently, knowing that Sigyn still blamed her partially for what had happened to Narvi and ultimately, Loki. She never knew where she stood, but still dutifully carried out any needs of the crown.

"Yes, please ready the boys at once."

"As you wish, your Majesty." Eméra dipped her head and excused herself from the chambers.

"You do not truly intend to leave, do you?"

The redheaded goddess stared at the Vanir, trying to read between the lines of the still current ruler of Asgard.

"Angela, you know as well as I do that I am simply not suited to continue to rule Asgard. Vanaheim, Asgard... none of them feel like home anymore. Midgard holds some of the only friends I have left in the Nine- Well, Ten -Realms. I cannot simply be here a moment longer. I shall raise the boys on Midgard, teach them how to be kind and understand others. To teach them to be just rulers. When the time is right, we will return for Narvi's coronation. After all, he is still the Crowned Prince."

"Sigyn, I do not believe my brother deserved you when he married you. You are far more practiced in ruling a nation than he was. You have done him proud these months in his absence. We shall keep in touch and perhaps someday, I shall visit Midgard and see why you and my brothers have been so taken in by such a simple realm. I wish you all the best, your Majesty."

"And I wish you all the best, your Highness."

Each dipped their heads before one another, turning to enter the throne room. The entire transfer of power along with the understanding that when he came of age, Narvi would be crowned as the new king of Asgard, was much easier than she would have thought. The Asgardians acknowledged their new Queen, shedding tears as they bid farewell to Sigyn and the royal family.